Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zahi hawass steps down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
it sounds weird to me. ... i think there is pressure from the government to resign. thats the only way it makes sense.

It is here probably more a matter of not "losing the face". This is a very important point in Arab thought and action. The opportunity was favorable. By resignation of the Prime Minister were of course also his ministers out of office. He is therefore officialy not resigned but is no longer available. Whether he would have ever asked to be part of a new government is of course a different matter...

Also, it seems as if the by Mubarak shortly before his departure created Ministry of Antiquities no longer exists and its functions and duties are again as formerly part of the Ministry of Culture (?).

Greetings, Lutz.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has yet replied to Lutz's pregnant question last Friday (4/3) on this thread. I personally am curious to know if anyone has a convincing answer.
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you refer to:

Aus Der Box Skeptisch wrote:
... but as an egyptologist he was a great man. ...

Lutz wrote:
Oh yeah? Why?

I can think of no answer to the question posed by Lutz but would ask the same of the quoted sweeping statement by Aus Der Box Skeptisch.
Nemo Amicus
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Oh yeah? Why?

Satellite Pyramid of Khufu
Reserve Head
Cemetery of the Pyramid Builders
And that's just the Old Kingdom....

Don't know why people crab about him so much; yes he is a pushy jerk, I deal with pushy jerks every day. (I tend to filter them out.) He had a monster job to do. Yes, he tooted his own horn and cashed in on the books etc. Who wouldn't?

My 2 deben...

Nemo Amicus
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think he got down and dirty with the archaeologists who were doing the excavation? Working in the heat with the flies, no running water, no toilet facilities, hours of back stiffening, elbow scraping, knee scuffing toil in a deep hole in the ground? Or is it more likely he turned up after a telephone call in his air conditioned car with a photo and film crew in tow, did his bit of PR then went back to his air conditioned office? Idea
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevininabydos wrote:
You think he got down and dirty with the archaeologists who were doing the excavation? Working in the heat with the flies, no running water, no toilet facilities, hours of back stiffening, elbow scraping, knee scuffing toil in a deep hole in the ground? Or is it more likely he turned up after a telephone call in his air conditioned car with a photo and film crew in tow, did his bit of PR then went back to his air conditioned office? Idea

At one time, I think Hawass was a "down in the dirt" archaeologist. When he was in charge of the Giza Plateau excavations durign the 1970-1980's, he was rather well-known for his work there.

However, in recent years, one notes that he's not be involved in "hands on" excavations. I'm sure he would claim it's because he's been the head of the SCA (since 2002), but I am referring to before this.

Hawass seemed to have discovered the political side of life in Egyptian antitiquities from say 1990-2002, and possibly did some empire building to attain the SCA post. He didn't produce much in the way of publications on the Egyptological side during this period.

There's little doubt that Hawass worked his political influence to secure the Vice Minister of Culture position he was about to step into when the Mubarak regime fell: in essence, he had to do this, as he was approaching the retirement age for the SCA position. There is no mandatory retirement age for ministers in Egyptian government, as he noted when he secured the position.

The new Minister of Antiquities and Culture has been named by the transitional government. He is Dr. Emad Abu Ghazi; he has been general secretary of the Higher Council of Culture since 2009. Born in 1955, he studied history at Cairo University and received a master's degree in medieval documents. Since 1983 he has been an assistant professor at Cairo University. From 1999 to 2009 Abu Ghazi was a head of cultural committees in the council. He is the author of several studies on Egyptian history.

To date, there's no word if there will be a new head to the SCA: that appears to remain open.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Egyptian Gazette, via the excellent News from the Valley of the Kings site, Alla Shaheen has been appointed Minister of Antiquities. Google will lead you to a rather dodgy website which states that the new minister believes in little green men building the pyramids. One hopes it is not true, otherwise it's a case of out of the frying-pan into the fire.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still it`s all quite a muddle, first Ghazi and then Shaheen as minister.

I wonder why there are no suggestions as to who the new head of the SCA might be.
I only hope it will not be the old one.
Until a new head is officially appointed I`m living in constant fear that Hawass might somehow manage to bribe his way back into his old position.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two ministries, Culture and Antiquities, have been separated, after the original plan to reunify them was shelved. That's why there are two ministers.
There was talk of an internal election for head of the SCA, and a short list of 7 (?) names was circulated, but that was all unofficial.Hawass had to stand down last year as head of the SCA because of his age, and a special new post was created to keep him in office.
So, what happens now? Your guess is a good as mine.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theban Moon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest is that there doesn't presently seem to be anybody in charge according to the latest press reports i.e. Dr Shaheen hasn't (yet) been sworn in, Dr Hawass said he was continuing pro-tem until there was a new appointee, but it sounds from some sources as though even that isn't happening in practice.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different opinions within Egypt on the coming UNESCO visit, and on the present 'power vacuum' there:
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/40/8218/Heritage/Ancient-Egypt/Resistance-to-UNESCO-visit-to-Egypt-to-save-artefa.aspx
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, there must be someone else out there other than Hawass to deal with the delegates!

If Hawass does this job in whatever guise I fear there will be even less clarity afterwards than we have now.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ass is back!!
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/8906/Egypt/Politics-/Hawass-is-persuaded-back-into-Egypt-Minister-of-An.aspx
I'm going to take up stamp-collecting, pigeon-fancying or newt-sexing from now on...
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What horrible news. I was kinda afraid that was the way it was going yesterday (when they needed someone to take charge). There goes any hope of the DNA bering released as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: