Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looting of antiquities continue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Granite, I've been curious about this for a while, and you would think some of the pieces would be hard to miss.

Seems like an odd bag of stuff. A lot of pocketable items, most not very interesting, some huge pieces that would be hard to smuggle out and hard to sell, some not very well known or large amarna pieces and the shabitis, which as a group would be hard to remove without being spotted on the outside. To me it reeks of more than one group involved with different looting goals.
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for Hawass's assurances that only 8 items were missing and unaccounted for! cussing
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Iíve read that Belgium custom services are already some time on the outlook for A.E. artifacts, hopefully this is everywhere so. Still Iím afraid we wonít see any of these items back soon.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul on the Portable Antiquities webpage, who has spent hours nosing around the museum after the break-in, posits several groups of looters, and makes it clear the evidence on the ground totally disproves the official ZH account.
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed the petition, I find it a shame how some people have little regard for history, especially history as ancient as AE history.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news at last! Twelve pieces recovered, but it doesn't specify which ones:
http://www.talkingpyramids.com/12-museum-pieces-recovered-snare/
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how their taste in art runs.
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looting and attempted looting continues in Abydos, I counted 6 illegal digs along left side of the desert road to Beni Mansour this morning. These started at about the dog cemetery and continued at intervals to opposite the portal Temple of Ramesess II at Kom el Sultan. Talking to the guardians today I was told they may be being armed with rifles, the question of whether bullets would also be supplied got lost in translation! Laughing
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 or, according to some accounts, 16 artefacts have been recovered, but over 24 hours later we still don't know exactly which components of the official list they are - assuming they are actually in that list.
Things don't seem to have changed very much, do they?
Theban Moon
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:
Paul on the Portable Antiquities webpage, who has spent hours nosing around the museum after the break-in, posits several groups of looters, and makes it clear the evidence on the ground totally disproves the official ZH account.

I think Paul is right. It's hard to believe that that many items were hauled up to the skylights on telephone wires with just two men inside. Yuya's heart scarab was supposedly found by the entry to the Cafe suggesting some exited that way. Wooden items were stripped of their gilding - that takes time. The Akhenaten statue was reportedly undergoing restoration then turned up outisde in Tahrir Square. That could be just failure to report the theft - but minor damage reported was consistent with the condition of the statue when it was found.

There's more. I'm intending to look at it when I have time, but for me the official reports do not fit the facts as we know them.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good news for a change!
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/40/8186/Heritage/Ancient-Egypt/Stolen-ancient-Egyptian-statues-recovered.aspx/
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good news for a change Granite.I wonder how far the thieves thought they would get with a statue that size.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought-provoking interview with Barry Kemp (who should know what he's talking about!):
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20928040.200-egyptologist-the-west-is-to-blame-for-looting.html
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a report on the UNESCO visit in Al-Ahram today:
'The first place on the delegation's visit list was the Egyptian Museum. Following three hours of touring the museumís exhibition halls and labs, the delegation's members expressed their satisfaction with what they saw.

ďThe status of the Egyptian Museum in totally different from what has been said in the media,ď director Tarek El-Awadi told Ahram Online Manhart had said while admiring the museum. He said that Manhart told him that he is very pleased that 12 out of 54 missing objects have been retrieved and he promised to help Egypt to retrieve all its missing artefacts ó not only those of the museum but those of other archaeological sites as well.'
"Very pleased?" Who's fooling who?
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:

"Very pleased?" Who's fooling who?

Looks indeed as if the farce continues..... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: