Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Morning all

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ISETTHEFAIR
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Morning all Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here. I happened to discover this board quite by chance.

I have had a keen interest in all things Ancient Egyptian for as long as I can remember.

Actually I can remember when it started. I must have been about 5/6 and the fantastic Treasures of Tutankhamun exhibition had just landed in the UK and Blue Peter, a great kids programme in the 70s, was doing a big report on this important arrival. Apparently I went completely mental and subsequently insisted on watching every news report about the exhibition that we could find. My sister, three years older, was allowed togo with her school trip to see this exhibition but I was too little and was completely inconsolable. I've never forgiven her to this day Laughing Laughing Laughing I did manage to swipe and conceal the guide book she bought home and until very recently she thought it was lost for good Smile Smile I've only just admitted that I had it.

Unfortunately I'm disabled and unlikely ever to be able to get to see the boy himself in the Cairo Museum which is really sad but I did go and see the Golden Age of the Pharoahs at the O2 and the Book of the Dead exhibiton at the British Museum.

I'm keenly interested in doing some cross stitch designs incorporating passages from the BotD so I'm going cross eyed trying to work out how to do heiroglyps in stitching.

Looking forward to speaking to everyone as we go on!
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, ISETTHEFAIR! hello2
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Iím curtain you will find many interesting topics to read.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Morning all Reply with quote

ISETTHEFAIR wrote:
Hi, I'm new here. I happened to discover this board quite by chance.

I have had a keen interest in all things Ancient Egyptian for as long as I can remember.

Actually I can remember when it started. I must have been about 5/6 and the fantastic Treasures of Tutankhamun exhibition had just landed in the UK and Blue Peter, a great kids programme in the 70s, was doing a big report on this important arrival. Apparently I went completely mental and subsequently insisted on watching every news report about the exhibition that we could find. My sister, three years older, was allowed togo with her school trip to see this exhibition but I was too little and was completely inconsolable. I've never forgiven her to this day Laughing Laughing Laughing I did manage to swipe and conceal the guide book she bought home and until very recently she thought it was lost for good Smile Smile I've only just admitted that I had it.

Unfortunately I'm disabled and unlikely ever to be able to get to see the boy himself in the Cairo Museum which is really sad but I did go and see the Golden Age of the Pharoahs at the O2 and the Book of the Dead exhibiton at the British Museum.

I'm keenly interested in doing some cross stitch designs incorporating passages from the BotD so I'm going cross eyed trying to work out how to do heiroglyps in stitching.

Looking forward to speaking to everyone as we go on!

Hi and Welcome,

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Please share your cross- stitches with us. I love how creative we can all be when it comes to Ancient Egypt. I am planning to recreate Deir el Bahri with Lego! I'd rather just go there again, but that'll be somewhere in the future.

Regards,
Stuart

Wink

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

ISETTHEFAIR
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will certainly share my efforts. I'm in the process of finishing one which is set around the Shelly poem Ozymandias. It turned into a bit of a monster and I fell out with it for a while but I''m hoping to return to it in the near future.
dachief
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISETTHEFAIR

Maybe you could start with museums a little closer to home, i.e. the British Museum. There is an Egyptian section at the Manchester museum. And I think Tut's exhibition is still at the Trafford centre in Manchester. All accessible to disabled people,
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Glad to have you around!
ISETTHEFAIR
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to do both recently thank goodness. We went to the Book of the Dead exhibition earlier in the year at the Brititsh Museum. That was fantastic. I'd seen these papyri so many times in books etc but to see them face to face so to speak was a joy. I hadn't quite made the full connection between hieroglyphs and handwriting quite so strongly in the past and to see the tiny beautiful work close too was quite breathtaking.

We also went to the Tutankhamun exhibition. The exhibits were beautiful and probably as close to his stuff as I will ever get but the exhibition was spoiled for me by very poor 'flow management'. We didn't really get to see the recreations of the tomb layout which looked spectacular. They insisted on letting kiddywinkies go to the front - absolutely no problem with that - but then when the display was done doing what it was supposed to do they simply turned off the lights and chivied us on to the next one without giving those of us stood at the back chance to have a closer look. It also gave the impression of a school trip with the amount of bellowing from the custodians. It rather spoiled what should have been an impressive occsaion.

That being said, the exhibits were quite extraordinary!

dachief wrote:
ISETTHEFAIR

Maybe you could start with museums a little closer to home, i.e. the British Museum. There is an Egyptian section at the Manchester museum. And I think Tut's exhibition is still at the Trafford centre in Manchester. All accessible to disabled people,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: