Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hathor and another question.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
No, I am hearing today, I'm bussy. Do you hear for reforms and possible revolution in Egypt? Zahi Hawass today eas on television and he said that two mummies in the Cairo museum are damaged.

That is old news, has His Excellency Zawi Hawass(he is a minister now) no new policies to report Question Or is he too busy saving his Museum (could be...)

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Ra-Mont
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hathor and another question. Reply with quote

TheErrantWilder wrote:
Hello EDDB =]
I have been currently researching the Goddess Hathor. She seems to be quite a Goddess. My question is that is she the Goddess of dance as well as music ect?
Also does anyone know a good book/site on the Gods that is correct and accurate in the information it gives on the Gods? I find the internet a mass of misconceptions and confusions. I recently saw Bast labled as the Goddess of music and the counter part to Sekhmet (her darker side obviously) which moments before saw Sekhmet being the counter part of Hathor!
You understand my frustration of course =]
Thanks!
Wilder.

Apart from those aspects of the goddess already given by erudite members here, Hathor was also worshipped from Egypt's 12th Dynasty as "Lady of the Turquoise" in a cave at the temple of Serabit el-Khadem on Sinai.
Leonelle
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like to think of Hathor as having D.I.D (Dissociative Personality Disorder) Either that, or the serious "tough-love" sort of mother. She'll love you to death and kill your enemies and be forever loyal while endowing you with all of her love. But make her crossed and you'll wonder who's serving who.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonelle wrote:
I really like to think of Hathor as having D.I.D (Dissociative Personality Disorder) Either that, or the serious "tough-love" sort of mother. She'll love you to death and kill your enemies and be forever loyal while endowing you with all of her love. But make her crossed and you'll wonder who's serving who.

Hathor was , literally, a split personality. However, her "terror" side had a different name and was eventually considered a different deity in and of herself, and that was Sekhmet.

Her transformation from Hathor to Sekhmet in clearly told in the Destruction of Mankind myth from the New Kingdom (in this myth the goddess herself names her "terror mode": she tells Ra she will not stop killing men when he commnds her to stop (he had originally charged her to do so, BTW), and states that she will "prevail" over them. In that moment, she became "Sekhmet" (literally /sxm.t/ "she who prevails") and not Hathor). To stop her slaughter of men, she had to be changed back into Hathor, and this was done by darkening beer with red ochre so it would appear to be blood, which Sekhmet would drink.

Once Sekhmet became drunk, she forgot to kill men, and forgot also what her charge had been from Ra. Basically she reverts to Hathor, who comes singing and dancing in a drunken fashion before the gods in the divine hall, and they welcome her back - as Hathor.

Usually Hathor is always presented in Egyptian religion as a loving, quasi-mother-lover-consort in and of herself. Only when she is "Sekhmet" is it time to supplicate that avatar (as Sekhmet) to basically leave you alone.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, this relation between Hathor and Sekhmet is strange and contains a lot of mixes. They are not the same deity, but are seens as two forms of the one goddess.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
However, this relation between Hathor and Sekhmet is strange and contains a lot of mixes. They are not the same deity, but are seens as two forms of the one goddess.

This is typical in A.E. religion, sometimes difficult to understand for us Western people. But you can see them as two individual Goddesses. What more is Sechmet isnít only a goddess of destruction, but also a Goddess of healing.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always saw her as a strong and horrible goddess, because a myth about Ra's eye. But I am now looking at her as a goddess who deserves a respect.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:

Which is basically what one means by an 'avatar' - a temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity.

Sekhmet is an avatar of Hathor's "terror" mode; almost every Egyptian deity has an aspect which is awe/fear inspiring. Ra is a (generally) benevolent sun deity, but the /ir.t/ goddess, which is the snake encircling his brow, is part of his "terror" mode of unrelenting heat and blazing sunlight. Osiris is a generally beneficent vegetation deity, but also the dreaded lord of the dead; Min is a fertility deity, but is also known as slaughtering deity, and so on.

This also can be seen in Greek and Roman mythology, where (for example) Athena and Medusa originally were aspects of the same goddess; that is, Medusa is Athena's "terror" avatar.

Hornung has a rather long discussion of the "aspects" of Egyptian deities, which encompass not only their positive but their negative/terror aspects. See,

Hornung, E. 1982. Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many. J. Baines, transl. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: