Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Field Museum Collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemi07
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/kmt_sesh/FIELD%20MUSEUM/IMG_0177.jpg

Please can I use the photo of this 1-12 year old boy mummy for a presentation I'm doing about juvenile arthritis?

Where and when was this mummy found?

Do you know how it was decided the boy probably had arthritis?

Thank you.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemi07 wrote:
Re: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/kmt_sesh/FIELD%20MUSEUM/IMG_0177.jpg

Please can I use the photo of this 1-12 year old boy mummy for a presentation I'm doing about juvenile arthritis?

Where and when was this mummy found?

Do you know how it was decided the boy probably had arthritis?

Thank you.

Thanks for your interest, nemi07. As this was a photograph I myself took--which explains why it's not so great--you certainly have my permission to use it. This little mummy is in a dimly lit room and is not easy to photograph. Please just make sure to give proper attribution to the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, Illinois.

Here are a couple of more photos I have:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Please feel free also to use them, if you wish.

I am not an expert on juvenile arthritis and have merely repeated what I was told by those who trained me as a docent years ago. The cavus deformity of the right foot is evident and suggests the possibility of poliomyelitis, cerebral palsy, or a similar disease. The entire right leg is withered; the left foot appears to be less noticeably deformed. Moreover, there is the possibility on examining the chest of a mild form of pectus excavatum. This little guy had a hard life but lived 10 to 12 years.

The arthritis itself is mostly evident in the hands; unfortunately, this is the one part of the body for which I have no photographs. Juvenile arthritis is known in other juvenile human remains from pharaonic Egypt.

You would probably know this better than I, but as I understand it poor nutrition (relative to our understanding) and a physical life can affect the development of the immune system. Juvenile arthritis is principally a autoimmune or autoinflammatory disease, is it not? Please feel free to elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong. Like I said, I am no expert, but I always welcome the opportunity to learn more.

The little boy is extremely well preserved. In his hands you can see clear signs of deformity or inflammation in the joints. It's possible the same exists in the feet but it's harder to see that.

I can't help you much with the mummy's provenance. I've done quite a lot of my own research on items in our Egyptian collection in the Field Museum but have never come across anything relating to the boy. We're not even sure where or when his linen wrappings were removed. The manner in which he was mummified clarifies a date sometime in the Late Period, and probably around 600 to 500 BCE.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Smile

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard back from you, nemi07, but I was at the Field Museum yesterday so I thought I would return to the mummy boy. This time I concentrated on his hands. The photos are a bit grainy because of the dim lighting and my limited photography skills, but feel free to use these, too:

Hands - Photo 1

Hands - Photo 2

Hands - Photo 3

Hands - Photo 4

I hope these photos are useful, nemi07. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Wink

Visit my blog!
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kmt_sesh

Thanks for sharing these photos. I would like to add the Senenmut statue and the photo below it (18th Dyn. woman) to my blog. If i give the correct references, would you mind?

Thank you
Stuart
Very Happy

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: