Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Kingdom Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImhotepsAprentice
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Old Kingdom Map Reply with quote

I am attempting to make an historically accurate map of Dynasty III Egypt, including all major cities and towns with actual era names of the places and the Dynasty III names of Egypts neighbors. I am having trouble finding many of the Dynasty III names of cities and towns, and any known Old Kingdom names would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Kingdom Map Reply with quote

ImhotepsAprentice wrote:
I am attempting to make an historically accurate map of Dynasty III Egypt, including all major cities and towns with actual era names of the places and the Dynasty III names of Egypts neighbors. I am having trouble finding many of the Dynasty III names of cities and towns, and any known Old Kingdom names would be much appreciated.

Try this work:

Baines, J. and J. Málek 1980. Atlas of Ancient Egypt. Cairo: Les Livres de France.

In general, this work gives tne names of towns and areas by time period (and it's in English).

If you can read glyphs (and German), you could also look at the map section of this work as well:

Hannig, R. 1995. Die Sprache der Pharaonen: Großes Handwörterbuch Ägyptisch-Deutsch (2800 - 950 v. Chr.). Kulturegeschichte der Antiken Welt 64. Mainz: von Zabern.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Montu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Kingdom Map Reply with quote

ImhotepsAprentice wrote:

I'd love to see this when you're done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: