Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sneaking out of an Egyptian palace

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrandonP
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Sneaking out of an Egyptian palace Reply with quote

I am currently writing a fantasy story in which the princess of an Egyptian-style civilization is trying to sneak out of her palace, but the front door has guards in front of it. Did Egyptian palaces and other homes have back doors that people could sneak through? If not, how would she escape?
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Knotted Bedsheets
*Underground Tunnel
*Rope (over the walls)

Unlikely- but possible escape routes

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the common name “harem” we use to appoint the “women’s quarters” in A.E. palaces and estates they were nothing like what we think about the classical harem we know from e.g. the Arabs. They were separate places within the compounds of palaces and estates, but not intended to keep women in, the guards at the door were merely there to keep (uninvited) men out. They had backdoors, side-doors, servants entrances…plenty of possibilities for the women to get out unseen when they really wanted to. Let’s also not forget that the status of women in A.E. was much higher and liberal in A.E. those days, compared to other countries, like Greece.

I read quite some A.E. related roman’s, and It’s always funny to read how desperate princesses are trying to escape their “golden cage”. Sorry guys, it makes nice story’s, but belongs rather to other cultures than A.E.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
...in A.E. palaces and estates they were nothing like what we think about the classical harem we know from e.g. the Arabs...

I am actually rather curious about this! D'you think you can direct me to any good books, articles, sites etc;, that show diagrams of the layout of most New Kingdom villas/estates?
Montu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could have you hero float down the river in a basket ... oh wait has that been done?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: