Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could royal wives remarry?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Could royal wives remarry? Reply with quote

Is there any evidence of royal wives whose husbands had predeceased them remarrying? This could mean marrying her husband's successor or perhaps even marrying outside the royal family. If so, can anyone point out to an example of offspring from such a relationship that would indicate that it was a real marriage, not just an honored queen retaining her titles into the next reign.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritaten and Akhenesesamun are possible examples if:

1) they were really wives of Akhenaten before being queens to Smenkhkare and Tutankhamun respectively.

2) in A's case she also may have married Ay after Tutankhamun's death.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Could royal wives remarry? Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
Is there any evidence of royal wives whose husbands had predeceased them remarrying? This could mean marrying her husband's successor or perhaps even marrying outside the royal family. If so, can anyone point out to an example of offspring from such a relationship that would indicate that it was a real marriage, not just an honored queen retaining her titles into the next reign.

Hi Debs,

Are you aware of the 2 rings which have been found (one called the Newberry ring) depicting Ay and Ankhesenamun? One is in Berlin i believe ad the other was a missed opportunity involving Percy Newberry who drew the ring (saw it being sold somewhere) and didn't buy it. I am not sure if anyone has ever seen the ring again.

By understanding is that both rings differed in material, so are not to be mistaken as the same ring.

Was it a marriage, a real one? I'm not sure of any other depictions of a marriage between these two individuals - and of course, no children.

Stuart Very Happy

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ankhesenpepi II was thought to have married both Pepi I and Merenre Nemtyemsaf. So she remarried after her first husband died.

There is a statue of Merenptah which mentions Bintanath as his sister-wife. If this is really the same Bintanath who was married to Ramesses II, then she clearly remarried. (the alternative being that this Queen is the otherwise unnamed daughter of Bintanath who is depicted in Bintanath's tomb in the Valley of the Queens)

I think that queens remarrying commoners may have happened during the intermediate period but I cannot think of an example off the top of my head.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think because so little is known of royal families in general, it is hard to figure out the fate of most family members.

i should think once the king is dead, the royal women would belong to the next king, so they would need his permission to remarry.

as for any potential children of such remarriages, the title 'king's brother' was used as i recall only once, from the late period, so that prince felt he could make such a connection.
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several examples:
*Meresankh II and her sister Hetepheres II (4th dynasty) had two husbands
*There is a theory that Meresankh III (daughter of Hetepheres) married Menkaure (she was also a wife of his father Khafra)
*Ankhsenepepi II, as Anneke mentioned above
*Ankhsenamun (possibly)
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I did know about the possible Ay/Akhesenamon marriage. This of course was a special circumstance and far from certain. It's interesting to learn that there were some others. I suppose a great deal would depend upon the respective ages of the new king and the old queen.

Even if a former royal wife were permitted (or ordered) to remarry someone who was not the next king, she would probably lose her royal title and estates and become pretty much indistinguishable from any other married noblewoman.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The examples suggest that Pharaoh's sometimes married a predecessor's great wife, perhaps to cement their claim. The fate of lesser wives and concubines is less certain. There doesn't seem to be any evidence one way or another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: