Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kinship terms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tausert
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: kinship terms Reply with quote

Hi all,

Any hint on a study made by yoyotte on kinship terms in particular the term snt.f as referring to wife. thanks in advance. Idea
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find any article by Yoyotte, but I was able to find an article by Cerny that addresses this issue:

Consanguineous Marriages in Pharaonic Egypt
Jaroslav Černý
The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology , Vol. 40, (Dec., 1954), pp. 23-29

Some quotes:

Conditions for investigating marriages of the New Kingdom are considerably less favourable than those for the Middle Kingdom. Not only has the custom of appending genealogical indications to names almost disappeared, but also the expression snt.f 'his sister' has now become a current designation for 'wife' and is no longer restricted to real sisters.
The earliest dated tomb in which the expression sntf 'his sister' is used of a wife is tomb No. 24, reign of Tuthmoss III, where the wife of the owner Nebamun is called both 'his wife, the lady of the house Royset' and 'his beloved sister, the lady of the house Royset'.2 In the tomb of Amenemhet (No. 82) of the same reign, though the wives are called 'his wife', in one case the owner's brother Amenmose is represented in the company of 'his sister, the lady of the house .. . ; she may, of course, well have been both his wife and his sister. In No. 85 (of Amenemhab), which is dated to the reigns of Tuthmosis III and Amenophis II by the occurrence in it of their cartouches, Amenemhab's wife is called mostly 'his sister', but also 'his wife'. The evidence seems therefore sufficient to show that the custom of calling wives the 'sisters' of their husbands had its origin in the reign of Tuthmosis III
Tausert
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes dear, i thought so

I may add to Cerny's article the following study by S.Whale:
The Family in the Eighteenth Dynasty of Egypt, (Sydney, 1989).

thank u so much for yr quick reply anneke
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Smile

It was interesting to read. I did not know this was something that changed in the New Kingdom.

I think it is fairly widely accepted that snt'f can also mean wife?

I never know if a paper like that is a minority view or widely accepted. Then again Cerny is a pretty big name in Egyptology.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: kinship terms Reply with quote

Tausert wrote:
... a study made by yoyotte ...

Jean(-Michel) or Marine?
Tausert
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Lutz,

I am not sure Lutz. sorry. any suggestions.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also not found something from Yoyotte, but have a look at

Sheila Whale : The family in the Eighteenth Dynasty of Egypt - A study of the representation of the family in private tombs. - [Auckland, New Zealand, Univ., Diss., 1986]. - Sydney : Australian Centre for Egyptology, 1989. - Australian Centre for Egyptology - Studies - 1. - ISBN : 0-85837-670-9 ; 978-0-85837-670-0. - X, 308 p., 13 pl.

free for dowload as PDF.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I see now the book by Whale you still know ... Here are some other works dealing with kinship :

Jean Revez : The metaphorical use of the kinship term sn "brother". - In: JARCE - 40 - 2003. - pp. 123 - 131.

Fayza M. Haikal : Thoughts and Reflexions on the Love Songs in Ancient Egypt. - In: L'impero ramesside; convegno internazionale; in onore di Sergio Donadoni - Vicino oriente - Quaderno del Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche, Archeologiche e Antropologiche dell'Antichità - Sezione Vicino Oriente - 1. - Rom : Universita degli studi di Roma "La Sapienza", 1997. - pp. 77 - 85.

Judith Lustig : Kinship, Gender and Age in Middle Kingdom Tomb Scenes and Texts. - Sheffield : Sheffield Academic Press, 1997. - ISBN : 1-85075-676-7. - ISSN : 0960-6432. - pp. 43 - 65.

Detlef Franke : Altägyptische Verwandtschaftsbezeichnungen im Mittleren Reich. - [Hamburg, Univ., Diss., 1983]. - Hamburg : Borg, 1983. - Hamburger Ägyptologische Studien - HÄS - 3. - ISBN : 3-921598-13-3. - IV, 400 p.

M. L. Bierbrier : Terms of relationship at Deir el-Medina. - JEA - 66 - 1980. - pp. 100 - 107.

Greetings, Lutz.
Tausert
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

thank u so much for your valuable help. But I was looking specifically for any reference by Yoyotte. I found an article by Yoyotte in BIFAO 1962. I am not sure it could help either.
again thank u Lutz, you and Anneke are always so helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: