Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day to day lives of the Ancient Egyptians

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Day to day lives of the Ancient Egyptians Reply with quote

There should really be a forum about the day to day lives of the Ancient Egyptians and how there daily lives were played out....
You have almost everything surrounding and including Ancient Egypt from King and Queens, ofcourse, to Nubia!

I have a few questions, basic questions, that I suppose could be answered in Wikipedia! Though I would rather ask these question on this excellent forum!

What did the women of Ancient Egypt use for there menstrual cycle? Cloth? I heard somewhere they invented the first form of tampon? Is that so?

Did they have any form of contraception? I also heard that they invented the first form of condoms made out of cow intestins Ewwww, I defantely hope not?....

Were there any Ancient Egyptian forms of pregnancy tests?

Were the day to day Ancient Egyptian as incestous as there Pharaohs and queens? I believe not?

How did they shower? In the nile? That would be, in some cases very incovenient*..... Did they have soap, Shampoo perhaps for the Egyptian that chose to keep their hair?

Did they have some sort of toilets system in their houses or did they have to squat in the desert somewhere?

That's all I can really think of now, but I know more will come to my head later! If you are able to answer please do.... and feel welcome to ask any questions that may be on your mind about the average Ancient Egyptians!
Very Happy
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there would be no other forum to be put this question either, so while I'm at it!

Did the Ancient Egyptians really domesticate* wild Lions and produce Cat's? I looked it up though to my amazement nothing really came up! I started believing it was just a minor rumour I has started believing in when I was Child?
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of books on the subject of life in Pharaonic times.

Try:

Daily Life in Egypt by Ana Ruiz
People of the Pharaohs (from peasant to courtier) by Hilary Wilson
Tomb Builders of the Pharaohs by Morris Bierbrier.

Those should give you some insight. Smile
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily lives in Egypt sounds helpful Smile I am currently searching for a interesting book about Ancient Egypt! so that might be the go....

Though I made this thread so that Daily lives of the Ancient Egyptian can be discussed! Like I said looking it up on Wikipedia probably has all the answers! Though probably not a very good insight or to reliable!

Thankyou anyway for your book suggestions! I will be looking into the daily lives in Egypt!

Smile
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Day to day lives of the Ancient Egyptians Reply with quote

LadyOsiris wrote:

How did they shower? In the nile? That would be, in some cases very incovenient*..... Did they have soap, Shampoo perhaps for the Egyptian that chose to keep their hair?

aye, AFAIK common Egyptians kept clean by washing in the Nile, possibly whilst swimming as well, this is why Bilharzia was quite common in A.E, of course the Pharoah had his own bath (maybe stroke-swimming pool as well). Some may have had cleaning facilities in their homes but i think the Nile was a common place to wash

Yes the Egyptians used soap, it was made of natron and swabu, they also combined animal and vegetable oils with alkaline salts to make soap-like substances

Current evidence suggests the Ancient Egyptians didnt use shampoo.

Sorry but this is the only question i can actually answer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: