Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horemheb and Ra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Horemheb and Ra Reply with quote

[img]http://www.facebook.com/pages/-Ancient-Egypt-/224776880905091#!/photo.php?fbid=294560417260070&set=a.294559697260142.63064.224776880905091&type=1&theater

This photo was taken by me while I was visiting the wonderful Art Museum in Vienna, Austria!

The Image is of Horemheb sitting beside Ra, arm in arm looking straight a head, with out a glimpse of expression on either's face!
It is a wonderfully preserved piece of artecture which I do enjoy looking at!

Horemhebs nose, toes and one of his hands had been destroyed and were replaced! The lines are quite obvious when you are up close to the magnificant statue! I had prevously seen this statue in Singapore 2009 in the Egyptian exhibit "QUEST FOR IMMORTALITY the world of ancient egypt"! Sadly all the pictures from that also wonderful exhibit have been lost! Though I do recall seeing statues of Ramesses ll and Ankhenaten's box, beautiful jwellery also some fascinating mummies (One of which was a women who had died and mummified while still having two babies inside of her?).

Enjoy Smile
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.facebook.com/pages/-Ancient-Egypt-/224776880905091#!/photo.php?fbid=294560417260070&set=a.294559697260142.63064.224776880905091&type=1&theater
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenkapeac/5218122213/

Unfortunately my Image will not appear on this site! I apologize for my failed attempts! This image from Flickr will give you a similiar image that I had taken! Loads more wonderful to witness in real life than over google images! Cheers Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Horemheb and Ra Reply with quote

LadyOsiris wrote:
[img]http://www.facebook.com/pages/-Ancient-Egypt-/224776880905091#!/photo.php?fbid=294560417260070&set=a.294559697260142.63064.224776880905091&type=1&theater

This photo was taken by me while I was visiting the wonderful Art Museum in Vienna, Austria!

The Image is of Horemheb sitting beside Ra, ...

The king is sitting next to the god Horus (Wien, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Inv.-Nr. 8301, Late 18-th Dynasty, Unknown provenance).

Lutz
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien - Egyptian and Near Eastern Collection - Selected masterpieces
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was certaintly not what my Audio had told me Embarassed There I was thinking it was Ra! haha

Oh well it is still a very lovely piece of artecture! Have you been there Lutz? It's a lovely museum and I do miss it very much! Sad Smile

Thanks
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this statue fascinating in that it shows what may have been a truthful representation of the king's features, albeit not "warts and all". The majority of Horemheb's statues in museums are probably usurped from Tutankhamun.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
I find this statue fascinating in that it shows what may have been a truthful representation of the king's features, albeit not "warts and all". The majority of Horemheb's statues in museums are probably usurped from Tutankhamun.

The Flickr description does note that the king's image is highly restored (including the nose). If you take this into consideration, the image does look more like Tutankhamun.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any evidence/indication that this statue was re-inscribed though?

It's a bit hard to see on the flickr picture, but the inscription does not look like it's been tampered with.

I'm not sure I see the resemblance to the Tut images.
http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/luxor_museum/pages/tutankhamun%20as%20amun%201.htm

Tut seems to have fuller lips and a "pointier" chin.

Maybe there are other Tut-related statues I am not thinking of Very Happy
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... It's a bit hard to see on the flickr picture, but the inscription does not look like it's been tampered with. ...

Some more information and pictures from other perspectives : KHM Wien - Bilddatenbank - Statuengruppe des Gottes Horus und des Königs Haremhab.

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Is there any evidence/indication that this statue was re-inscribed though?

It's a bit hard to see on the flickr picture, but the inscription does not look like it's been tampered with.

There's a partial restoration (probably modern) on the inscription between the two figures (lower section). However, I would have to see the upper inscription in person to determine if it's been altered.

As you may recall, I analysed a similar dyad attributed to Horemheb, with either a queen or goddess to the king's right.

In that dyad, I noted:

Complicating the interpretation of this statue is the fact that many of Horemheb's monuments are usurped pieces from the reign of Tutankhamun. While not conclusive, it does appear that Horemheb's cartouche on the statue group may be an addition, as the depth of the shen ring (which surrounds the cartouche) is more deeply engraved into the limestone that the more lightly incised name within, indicating a possible erasure and new engraving of a throne name. If this hypothesis is correct (although we have no evidence to conclude this affirmatively), then the question which results is whether this group statue may, in fact represent Tutankhamun and his queen Ankhsenamun -- with a possible male heir?

anneke wrote:
I'm not sure I see the resemblance to the Tut images.
http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/luxor_museum/pages/tutankhamun%20as%20amun%201.htm

Tut seems to have fuller lips and a "pointier" chin.

Maybe there are other Tut-related statues I am not thinking of Very Happy

Images of Tutankhamun differ widely: This image of Amun at Karnak is widely understood to have the features of Tutankhamun, but like the Vienna group, the chin is flattened to accomodate the regnal beard. This image of the black guardian statue from KV 62 shows lips in proportion, as on the Vienna king figure, as also shown on Tutankhamun's mannequin bust.

Most of the time Egyptologists tend to recognise Tutankamun's features as the full cheeks and "dreamy eye" effect on sculpture, both showing on the Vienna figure.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the images you linked to neseret.
I see your point.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
... There's a partial restoration (probably modern) on the inscription between the two figures (lower section). However, I would have to see the upper inscription in person to determine if it's been altered. ...

Quote:
"... Umfangreiche Restaurierungen in neuerer Zeit täuschen über den tatsächlichen Erhaltungszustand der Doppelstatue hinweg: Die äußeren Arme und die Füße sowie die linke Hand des Königs, sein Bart, seine Nasenspitze und der Falkenschnabel sind ergänzt. ..."

Google :

"... Extensive restoration work in recent times deceived about the actual condition of the dyad away: the outer arms and the legs and the left hand of the king, his beard, his nose and beak of the falcon are added. ..."

Its really not possible to opt for a photo, but the cartouch up between the heads looks not quite kosher to me ... : KHM Wien ---> Bilddatenbank ---> Statuengruppe des Gottes Horus und des Königs Haremhab

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: