Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this Silsilis?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Is this Silsilis? Reply with quote

I have just put up a few photos taken on my recent trip. Are these of Silsilis?

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii638/debsmainman/Silsilis/

Reading through the description in "A Thousand Miles Up The Nile" by Amelia Edwards I think that they are but would like confirmation. The "umbrella" gives it away I think.

I spotted them quite by chance when I saw a felucca landing some people on the west bank between Edfu and Kom Ombo. Looking through my binoculars I saw that there were spot lights etc. on the bank and then saw the openings and facades.

Does anyone know how to reach the site? Judging by the lack of landing places I suppose that a felucca would probably be the only way to get there. Would this be from Aswan, which would be a quite a long journey, or is there somewhere closer to start? Idea
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Silsilis? Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
... Are these of Silsilis?

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii638/debsmainman/Silsilis/ ...

Yes, quarrie and chapels at Gebel el-Silsila. Here some more pictures from inside of the chapels :

Ägyptologie Forum ---> Fotos ---> Schreine von Gebel el-Silsila

Ägyptologie Forum ---> Fotos ---> Felskapelle Haremhab (18. Dyn.) in Gebel el-Silsila

How to go to, later more. I have to go to work now ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is this Silsilis? Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
... Does anyone know how to reach the site? ...

The easiest way is by boat (felucca) from Aswan. From Luxor should also be possible. The accessibility by car is possible but only with a really good informed local driver recommended (starting from Edfu railway station). Maybe one of our "locals" from Luxor has some more information?

Greetings, Lutz.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have driven there a couple of times, haven't been for a while (Have3 just looked at my photo's & it was Dec 09 last time) Seriously overdue for a return visit I think Idea

It should be easy enough to get a car from Luxor, it only takes a couple of hours. The favourite route is a dahabiya but far more expensive.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekat wrote:
... Seriously overdue for a return visit I think Idea ...

I form me to remind there is the possibility to sail with Felluca from Luxor and to spend the night somewhere on the Nile bank in the open air?

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: