Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copying Abu-Hol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefertari86
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Copying Abu-Hol Reply with quote

Idea I was wondering if anyone knew any other cultures who copied the idea of the Sphinx. I now some have been found on the Island Crete from the Minoan period and I've a feeling either Greeks or Romans had them. Can anyone tell me any other places that had Sphinxes?

Thanks a mill Smile
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The syrians had sphinx's and a type of vulture symbol very similar to egypts vulture.

Hey i just noticed your avitar. It is of Nefertari right? When i saw that unique snake earing it gave me a sudden image of Nefertiti wearing her tefnut crown, you know the way the cobra rests against her cheek bone under her eye? Well i couldn't help but wonder if Nefertari's earing could have been influenced by Nefertiti's tefnut crown because it seems to rest under her eye on her cheekbone in the same manner?What do you think?Maybe i am looking too much into it-but Rameses 2 even gave his daughters similar names to Akhenaten's daughters so perhaps some amarna influence washed off into creating this unique earing?
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it now it's probably just a way of incorporating the royal cobra in with the vulture cap....although i have seen vulture caps that simply have a cobra beside the vulture's head....

http://www.biblemysteries.com/Expeditiontrips/photosark/48harrispap1.jpg
(i just googled the image)

this is all off topic i know so i'll get back on topic

The Syrian Sphinx i mentioned was wrong actually it is a bull with a kings head and are used to guard the entrences of temples. I think the greeks had sphinx's but they always had womens heads....

Everything you need to know about them is in this article

h t t p : / / e n . w i k i p e d i a . o r g / w i k i / S p h i n x

I know nothing about Hindu but i thought this was amazing-an amazing coincidence that is!

Quote:
In Hindu tradition, one of the Avatars of Vishnu was the Narasimha which means 'man-lion'. The Avatar had a human body and the head of a lion.

W i k i p e d i a . o r g
Rudra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:

I know nothing about Hindu but i thought this was amazing-an amazing coincidence that is!

Quote:
In Hindu tradition, one of the Avatars of Vishnu was the Narasimha which means 'man-lion'. The Avatar had a human body and the head of a lion.

W i k i p e d i a . o r g
Though, this topic is slightly dated, nevertheless I just wanted to chip some information on the legend of Narsimha or Narsingh (man-lion). As per the Hindu mythology, once lived a powerful King Hirnaya-kashyap, who got a boon from Brahma (one of the Gods of Hindu trinity) that no man or animal can kill him during day or night, nor on Earth or in the sky. Brahma granted him the boon and the King thought he was pretty safe from any mortal danger. He became too powerful, ruthless and exploitative and forced people to worship him. His son though remained an ardent devotee of Vishnu (one of the Gods of Hindu trinity). Exasperated at his son, he asked his son if his God is omnipresent so he should be everywhere and saying this he struck a column in palace with his mace. As the column collapsed, at the same moment, a strange figure appeared, which had the head of Lion and body of man. The strange creature called Narsimha (neither man nor animal), physically subdued the King. It was the twilight hour (neither day nor night), he took the King of his laps (neither air nor Earth) and using his claws, tore open his entrails and thus bringing a grisly end to the King's life.

Hinduism has also a few hybrid gods and minor dieties.

1. Ganesha (Elephant headed God)

2. Hanuman (Monkey God)

3. Garuda (Eagle headed minor deity and vehicle of Vishnu)

4. Prajapati Daksh (Goat headed minor deity and father in law of Siva)

Sorry, if it went a little off track but yes Hinduism and ancient Egyptian religion have more than a few things in common. Hybrid gods, gods with human like traits etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: