Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photography and the Valley of the Kings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Photography and the Valley of the Kings Reply with quote

I am in Luxor at the moment and will shortly be walking over from the Valley to Deir el Medina.

There is a possible problem though. Due to the reckless use of cameras in the Valley all cameras are now forbidden outside as well as inside the tombs. As I will be starting my trek from the Valley I have no idea if photography will be possible on the trip. I'll check around and in any case will let you know if taking pictures of the walk are going to be possible. If they are I'll post some on photobucket when I get back.

PS. It's now warming up a bit after a very chilly couple of days last week, that was quite a surprise on arrival I can tell you. Very Happy
Sesen35
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now officially jelouse! Confused haha!

I hope your enjoying it. Oh wait ofcourse you will be!

Is there now a less danger risk in Egypt after the riots? I am hoping to go to Egypt at the end of this year by Emirates ( Excellent and entertaing airlines if I do say so myself)! I must in any case mentally prepare myself!

Enjoy the wonder of Egypt Wink

I must ask is this your first time visiting Egypt?
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you will be ok as long as you can put the camera in a bag before you enter the Valley.
It will turn colder over this weekend with a bit of a breeze. Just so you are prepared.
I'll pm you my mobile number in case you want to meet up or for further advice.
Enjoy the rest of your time here Smile
Sesen35
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are you staying in Egypt for?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Photography and the Valley of the Kings Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
There is a possible problem though. Due to the reckless use of cameras in the Valley all cameras are now forbidden outside as well as inside the tombs. As I will be starting my trek from the Valley I have no idea if photography will be possible on the trip. I'll check around and in any case will let you know if taking pictures of the walk are going to be possible. If they are I'll post some on photobucket when I get back.

When I was in Luxor at the VoK in January they took cameras away from tourists as one entered the VoK. I am not aware that they would do the same at Deir el Medina, as it's stated that any open air monument can be photographed (the possibility of light damage is not an issue).

Apparently you can no longer talk to any extent in the tombs either, as they consider that "lecturing" and such is not permitted (holds up tourist traffic and all that). So, I informed my group outside the tomb what they would see before we entered, and still I was fussed at by Egyptian folks working in the VoK.

It's at that point I started to ignore them, as I was aware that outside lecturing was OK. I suspect they fussed because I (a foreign doctora, as I was called) was guiding a group and not letting the Egyptian guides take them about.

A M Street wrote:
PS. It's now warming up a bit after a very chilly couple of days last week, that was quite a surprise on arrival I can tell you. Very Happy

It was unbelievably cold in Luxor in January: I had never worn sweaters/jumpers while in Egypt before during the day (you always need to wear something warm at night). Even the Egyptians we knew were native to Luxor said they had not known it to be so cold in Egyptian for years. There were some days that struggled to make it to the mid-60's F/17-18 C, which is really cold, even for January.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security does seem to have changed since I was here last 2.5 years ago. The Tourist Police are much less evident and just stand around not doing much. Many sites I have been to are eerily quiet, nice to be able to get to see things but that of course means that you are a target for the touts, who can get bit aggresive. Still I suppose that many are desperate as business is so slow. I haven't been able to find out about the camera ban yet. I can see it working, sort of, VoK to Deir el Medina, but what about the other way, can they stop you taking a camera out of the Valley? Time will tell and 'll keep everyone informed.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neseret, it was the coldest January that any of us can remember. In fact I took a visiting friend to our local Doctor because of an ailment and we discused the cold. He said that in all his life he never remembered it being so cold in Luxor and he was around 60.
Security is far more low key now and the local SCA officials are far more relaxed. Something which is very good to see after the extreme control of the Hawass era.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, I'm back home now and have a bit of a story to tell.

As you know I was concerned about whether I would be able to take my camera, a big DSLR, through security at the VoK. Things were resolved right enough but not as I expected.

I met up with Debbie who was arranging my trip and asked about the camera ban in the Valley. She was not sure and said "Hold on and I'll ask". I left it at that and a little later she rang me and said "We have a problem", where have I heard that before?
It turns out that security have decided that there will be NO walking over the hills from the Valley to anywhere. Why? your guess is as good as mine and neither Debbie nor Mohammed her colleague could get any logical reason for the decision. Still as they say "This is Egypt"

So that solved the problem with my camera! Still I did visit a number of other places including Carter House, which was not the house on the hill that I thought it was but one down in the valley below. I was the only person there and was greatly outnumbered by the staff and a large group of plasterers redoing the bottom of the walls in most of the rooms. I must say that I was taken aback by the smallness of the house and the lack of anything approaching what I would call comfort. Still Carter did wonderful things from this base and I really did have to see it.

Sadly, a dose of Tutanhkamun's revenge seemed to be doing the rounds whilst I was there and I duly sucumbed. This put a real dampener on my plans and I was unable to see anything like the sites that I had set my heart on. The good thing is, of course, that they can go on the list of things to visit next time, of which there most certainly will be.

I seems to me as if Egypt's tourist trade is dying. As I said the sites were practically deserted, nice for the enthusiast of course, but a real shame for the locals who desperately need an income. The caleche drivers have always been obnoxious of course, but they seem to have managed to plumb new depths just now, rude, pushy and sometime downright threatening. I had a bit of hassle but for some strange reason, one look at my face seemed to warn them off. No idea why as in truth I am a very shy and diffident person. Still, I won't complain as they did leave me alone pretty much.

So, a lot achieved and yet a lot more to do. Abydos beckons and so does Edfu which because of the trouble with the aforementioned caleche drivers is off limits to a lot of excursions. A pity that, as the last time I was there ALL the pictures I took came out out of focus and I was looking forward to getting some more. Still the new crocodile museum at Kom Ombo was a real treat. Last time I was there the technicians were just moving the mummies into the big case, now there are a number of secondary exhibits as well and informative captions and I had to be dragged out by main force as I has holding up the entire party!

As I have only just got back from enjoying the delights of modern air travel I am more than a little tired but I will put up some photos on Photobucket soon.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are feeling better now A M Street, Antinal is the thing to take at the first sign, safe & effective. Did you get to any lectures whilst you were here? The KV64 one was particularly popular & excellent.

We did say they have been stopping people from walking the hills out of the VOK for a long time, but they don't stop you entering if you go from Deir El Medina Wink

We were at Deir El Medina last week, we went to Iryenefer again, taking some friends who missed out last time, it closed the day before they arrived last time Rolling Eyes & there were a lot of French tourists at the Temple there.

There were more tourists in Karnak yesterday than we have seen for a very long time, so hopefully there is a bit of an upturn at last.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekat,

Thanks for the tip. Next time I'll go from Deir el Medina to the Valley. As I said there doesn't seem much point to stopping you going the other way, but then again, that's Egypt for you.

I'll get some Antinal when I'm in Egypt again as I was told that it is only available there, not sure if that's true but Immodium did not touch the problem at all. I do feel a lot better after fasting for a couple of days though.

Yes, I did get to the last lecture, although I was a bit late so missed the introduction of the speaker. I found it most interesting and revealing. What luck it was that KV62 was found by Carter and not by someone like Davies or Legrain otherwise we may never have had such a legacy from the tomb which is, I think, even today, a goldmine that has still not been fully exploited. Looking at the slides I was surprised that any excavation in Egypt should have had so much trouble with the water. Of course it is obvious that the water table should be fairly near the surface but still, having to employ stages of shadufs to clear our the excavation must surely have been a sight well worth seeing. It just never occured to me that the pit would have been so deep, 15m. Not somewhere I would have been happy to work even with modern shuttering.

So thanks to everyone who has offered advice and tips, Sorry that I did not reply to all of you but feeling under the weather plus the excessive cost of the internet access at the hotel meant that after the two sessions I had I was not able to get on line until I got home.

To quote Schwartzenegger "I'll be back" Very Happy
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
Hekat,

Thanks for the tip. Next time I'll go from Deir el Medina to the Valley. ...

Without problems possible. But don`t forget, one needs a ticket for visiting the tombs. Those gives it at the entrance down in the visitor center

Greetings, Lutz.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are better anyway. We always take Antinal with us when we go anywhere in the world (even the UK)

We were at Karnak (looking at the new excavations in front of the temple) & even with the dewatering project there is still water visible in front of the harbour. If you think of the pictures of the Colossi the water is lapping round the statues & once when I was at the Ramesseum the Guardian said look samac (fish) in the water under the pylon!
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Slowly but surely Reply with quote

Just a few pictures of my least favourite site on the West Bank.

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii638/debsmainman/Colossi%20of%20Memnon/

Note the most interesting thing I have seen on a number of visits, a worker doing some maintenance. Also note the colour of the sky, nasty grey and COLD, more like the UK than Egypt. Still it did warm up a bit during the rest of my stay but looking at the weather on the BBC, it's not much warmer now. Strangely the UK is having quite a good spell with the temperature just at the moment. I put it all down to this global warming.

Very Happy

I'll put up some photos of Carter House soon, just in case anyone is interested, I was, I have to admit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: