Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety In Egypt.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Safety In Egypt. Reply with quote

I am very much so concerned. I have been spending many hours working and saving up to go to Egypt and will be spending many hours more doing so. Though aparently the safety in Egypt is plummeting down and could very much ruin my chances of visiting Egypt at the end of this year, and if so I will be very much so dissapointed.

The reasons are the obvious reasons. Though aparently the US and Israel are trying to start are conflict with Iran. If they achieve this then the whole eastern world will became adrupt and my chances will be back to nil! Being a westerner I don't think it would be wise travelling to Egypt under those conditions.

Is this correct. I am very much hoping it is incorrect. Please tell me my chances of visting Egypt are safe and sound at the end of this year.
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: You will be fine Reply with quote

I will leave it to the Egyptian residents on the forum to give you a definitive answer to your concerns, but to judge by my own experience in Egypt last month, you will be fine.

Most of the places visited by tourists i.e. Luxor, the West Bank, Cairo, Aswan and so on are safe. The Tourist police are not as much in evidence as they were a couple of years ago but apart from touts, caleche drivers, felluca owners being a bit more pushy I did not notice any real difference.

Most sites are fairly empty, some almost deserted and as such you may well stand out and be a bit of a target. Also, I think, that women might be subject to a bit more harassment, but if you go with someone else you should not have too much trouble.

As I said, I'll leave it to those with more detailed knowledge of the situation to advise you, but I never felt threatened or insecure when I was there and a lot of the time I was on my own.

Go and enjoy Egypt, you might just catch the bug and have to return again and again. Very Happy
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think anyone can say at present how the security situation in Egypt will look like at the end of this year. Estimates are probably only in a very timely manner possible and may be obsolete in the next week.

Luxor, Assuan and the Red Sea Area seem still secure, Cairo in parts and by daylight. Middle Egyptian is difficult, kidnappings of tourists on the Sinai are on the agenda.

But, as I said, the situation changes quickly at any time. With restrictions for tourists is to expect everywhere, if only through blockades, strikes and demonstrations. If I remember correctly is at the moment probably convoy duty again for visiting Dendera and Abydos from Luxor?

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
IWith restrictions for tourists is to expect everywhere, if only through blockades, strikes and demonstrations. If I remember correctly is at the moment probably convoy duty again for visiting Dendera and Abydos from Luxor?

There weren't any convoys to Abydos when we were there the first time in January 2012. On our second trip to Abydos during the same trip, there was a labour strike going on in a neaby village to Abydos, so they were turning some people back during the morming.

However, by the afternoon, when we went, most of the strike has dissipated, but to be on the safe side, our guide agreed to allow a military personnel convoy accompany us to the Abydos temple of Seti I. When we got there, it was as peaceful as before. So, we spent about 2-3 hours there, with a small group. The soldiers sat in their truck and slept, as I recall.

When we left, they follow us for about 10 miles or so and then peeled off to go back to their base. Otherwise, we proceeded on our own to Luxor, stopping briefly for a koshari dinner in Qena.

I doubt much has changed since then, but I haven't kept up with the day-to-day reports at Abydos. Most reports I hear from colleagues say the areas are peaceful everywhere they have gone.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office ---> Travel & living abroad (Updated : 16 March 2012) :

Quote:
"... When driving outside cities local security authorities may request that you travel in convoy. You should comply with these instructions. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not had the chance to test the convoy situation as yet. The ongoing fuel problems preclude planning any longer distance trips. Once that has been resolved we will test the Luxor -Safaga route.

Generally the Luxor area seems quiet and we have not seen any problems either here on the West Bank or over in the town.
Obviously we will report any change to the current situation but as has already been stated, no one can predict as far ahead as next month let alone the end of the year.
Kharis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a report in the press over the weekend that there is widespread looting at some AE sites. The report mentioned one (sorry, forget the name) where the looters have their own armed guards to protect the looters. It was also mentioned in the same article that a number of looters had been killed and/or injured when the place where they were digging collapsed on them.

Does anyone know if these reports are true?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: