Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the divine adoratrice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: the divine adoratrice Reply with quote

hi all,
i find the topic of the divine adoratrice quite interesting, but do we happen to know if she used a particular form of head gear i.e head scarf hair wig.

padese
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: the divine adoratrice Reply with quote

Padese wrote:
... the divine adoratrice ... do we happen to know if she used a particular form of head gear i.e head scarf hair wig. ...

I suspect not. However, she is wearing in cult scenes, at least in the 18th Dynasty in the two representations that come to my mind (Red Chapel of Hatshepsut at Karnak and Luxor Temple, accompanied by Amenhotep III), a so-called spherical wig with a white (?) headband.

Literature on the topic ...

Jean Yoyotte : The Divine Adoratrices of Amun. - In: Queens of Egypt - From Hetepheres to Cleopatra. - Paris : Somogy Art Publisher, 2008. - ISBN : 978-2-7572-0190-9. - 431 p. - pp. 174 - 185.

gay Robins : The God's Wife of Amun in the 18th Dynasty in Egypt. - In: Images of Women in Antiquity. - London; Canberra : Croom Helm, 1983. - ISBN : 0-7099-0753-2 ; 0-7099-0741-9. - pp. 65 - 78.

The work of the first choice and the probably most extensive representation to the topic…

Erhart Graefe : Untersuchungen zur Verwaltung und Geschichte der Institution der Gottesgemahlin des Amun vom Beginn des neuen Reiches bis zur Spaetzeit. - [Freiburg, Univ., Habil.-Schrift, 1979]. - Ägyptologische Abhandlungen 37. - Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 1981. - ISBN : 3-447-02174-8. - ISSN : 0568-0476. - 246 p., 36 pl. (vol. 1) ; 171 p. (vol. 2).

A good and compact representation for the history of the office offers Dr. Karl Leser on his web page about Hatshepsut : Maat-ka-Ra Hatshepsut ---> Hatshepsut ---> God's Wife.

Greetings, Lutz.
Padese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Lutz and sorry for the late reply
to the list you kindly mentioned i assume we can add:

Sander-Hansen, Das Gottesweib des Amun (1940).

Michael Gitton, Les divine epouses de la 18e dynastie, (1984).

Karenga, Tiamoyo Tosheleza, The Office of the Divine Wife of Amen in the 25th and 26th dynasties : a study of women and power in Ancient Egypt / by Tiamoyo Tosheleza Karenga. (Ph.D dessertation), UMI dessertation services (2007).

However, I do not think any of the above mentioned, including the ones kindly cited by you, have tackled the issue of the headgear used by the divine adoratice.

Padese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: