Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pronouciation of Tutankhamun's name?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Pronouciation of Tutankhamun's name? Reply with quote

Generally people pronounce Tutankhamun as "Toot-an-car-moon" Though isn't that incorrect? Wouldn't the correct way to pronounce Tutankhamun's name "Too-Ankh-a-moon"? Considering that, Tut means image, Ankh means living and Amun is an Egyptian God 'Living Image of Amun'?

Please tell me if I'm correct or not, Thankyou for future reference... Idea
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to give advice on pronounciation of things on here when we're all from different cities in varying countries, so we all pronounce things differently anyway. In the end, no-one knows for certain how the ancient Egyptians spoke because there's no-one around that carried on their language through to modern times, so it's only guesswork. I say, pronounce it how you like, or how people pronounce it in your area. If you were that serious about learning their pronounciations, the best bet would be to learn a bit of Arabic.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always got a kick out of how Zahi Hawass said the name. It's hard to represent in regular typed letters but probably the best I can do is this:

Toot-ankhhhhhhhhhhhh-amoon

For the "ankhhhhhhhhhhhh" part, just imagine about three quarts of phlegm rising in his throat. Laughing

Your translation of the name is correct, EgyptianRose: "Living image of Amun." But Daughter_Of_SETI is correct that we really don't have a full understanding of how many ancient Egyptian words and names were pronounced. This is due principally to the absence of vowels in the ancient Egyptian scripts. So when we say names like Tutankhamun or Amunhotep or Ramesses, it's kind of artificial on our part. Transliteration generally reflects this:

Tutankhamun = twt-anx-imn
Amunhotep = imn-Htp
Ramesses = ra-mss

Where you see characters like the "i" and "a" they're actually not vowels but something linguists call weak consonants. I think the only example I can draw from English is our letter "y," which can serve as either a vowel or a consonant, although I admit the example is clumsy.

Sometimes when I'm speaking with visitors at our museum, I like to say the ancient names in my best approximation of the ancient sounds. It's not too hard to do because ancient Egyptian was related to Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic, Berber, and other such languages, so you can hear all of the consonantal sounds spoken by them.

Including that harsh, guttural "kh" sound from which Hawass hocks up three quarts of spit. I think he overdoes it for the purpose of some odd dramatic effect. But it's fun to speak in the ancient sounds and watch the faces of museum visitors. Some look back at me blankly, but it's fun when little kids try to say the same thing. It's cute, but I have to warn them to attempt some of the sounds carefully so they're not spitting all over everyone.

Toot-ankhhhhhhhhhhhh-amoon!

Visit my blog!
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

Including that harsh, guttural "kh" sound from which Hawass hocks up three quarts of spit.

Laughing
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I call him 'Tut-Ank-Amen' like the good little phonics girl I am. Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meretseger wrote:
Personally I call him 'Tut-Ank-Amen' like the good little phonics girl I am. Very Happy

LOL Then we can get into the argument whether the god's name should be Amun, Amen, or Amon. I personally favor Amun, but not everyone does. Still, in the end, however we prefer to say the name, it's unlikely to be accurate to the original pronunciation.

Actually, if we were to hold true to the skeletal remnants of the name as it was preserved in hieroglyphs, it would probably be pronounced something like "Eh-men." And I believe, technically, the name is preceded by the ayin, and I'm not even sure how to represent that. It's a common sound in Middle Eastern languages but I've always had a tough time pronouncing it.

Visit my blog!
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all, for your help and contribution. I havn't ever really been too educated on all the aspects of the Ancient Egyptian Language, so all this is new to me, Though I am trying to learn more.... Smile

Thanks.
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: