Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in AE is Amenhotep II?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meretseger wrote:

I seem to recall that Amenhotep II mentions somewhere that he was between eighteen and twenty at the time of his accession - but I can't tell you where. I've been reading a lot of things about him and they're all jumbled up. The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt perhaps?

Yeah, I think you are right: "Now his Majesty appeared as king as a fine youth after he had become 'well developed', and had completed eighteen years in his strength and bravery."

From the inscription of his "Sphynx Stele" - Urk. IV. 1279.8-10
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Robson. And WHOOPIE we've got a conversation going on something OTHER than Amarna!! Keep it up guys, please! Very Happy

I understand from my reading that there is evidence for an ambitious building program by Amenhotep II but very little remains of his monuments due to time and usurpation by later monarchs. Is that correct?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if his descendants usurped his monuments, or if it was ramses II.....who at face value appears to have the most monuments, but actually usurped most of them!!
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of his building activities in and outside Egypt offers Peter Der Manuelian : Studies in the Reign of Amenophis II. - [Hildesheimer ägyptologische Beiträge - HÄB - 26]. - Hildesheim : Gerstenberg, 1987. - ISBN : 3-8067-8105-2. - XX, 317 p., on pages 253 - 268. Listed are both, more or less preserved buildings and blocks that were found reused in later times and can be identified as originating from buildings of Amenhotep II.

A similar compilation seems to appear in Archaeological Expedition to the Precinct of the Goddess Mut at South Karnak/1 - The alabaster shrine of King Amenhotep II. - In: The Brooklyn Museum Archaeological Expedition to the Precinct of the Goddess Mut at South Karnak - 1. - San Antonio, Tex. : VanSiclen Books, 1986. - ISBN : 0-933175-05-1. - XV, 58, 60 p. (is not before me).

kylejustin wrote:
i wonder if his descendants usurped his monuments, ...

In some cases. But in usurping he was also not bad. See for examples some buildings of Hatschepsut ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Lutz. 'Studies in the Reign of Amenophis II' Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Now to get my hands on a copy... There is an English edition I trust? I don't read German.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Der Manuelian : Studies in the Reign of Amenophis II. - [Hildesheimer Ägyptologische Beiträge - HÄB - 26]. - Hildesheim : Gerstenberg, 1987. - ISBN : 3-8067-8105-2. - XX, 317 p.:

Betsy M. Bryan : The reign of Thutmose IV. - [New Haven, Conn., Yale Univ., Diss., 1980]. - Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 1991. - ISBN : 0-8018-4202-6. - 386, XIX p.:

Lutz
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly in the literature is apparently also used a variant of the drawing from stela A without deleted cartouche. Here is a picture from Ali Radwan : Stier, Falke und Kartusche Amenophis II - Zur Deutung einer Kioskszene im TT 101. - In: Bulletin of the Egyptian Museum 4. - Cairo : Supreme Council of Antiquities, 2007. - pp. 89 - 95 :

Lutz
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks perfect, Lutz. Thank goodness for inter-library loan.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waenre wrote:
kylejustin wrote:
i don't think he had a great royal wife, as he was scared of a hatshepsut situation.....hence why thutmose IV was not the legitimate heir.....probably because there was no one designated.

Betsy Bryan wrote a book "The reign of Thutmose IV" several years ago.

She also agreed about the lack of GRW due to Hatshepsut situation

waenre

Elizabeth Blyth mentions the same possibility in "karnak Evolution of a Temple".

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that we only know of the existence of some King's wives from their tombs or chance finds it's my personal opinion that Amenhotep II DID have a chief wife - perhaps more than one - we just haven't found any record of her yet.

Speaking of which; there is a fragment of relief from the site of Amenhotep's mortuary temple showing a lady wearing the vulture crown of a queen and the name element 'Sit'. Some think this is Amenhotep III's daughter-wife Sitamun others that it could have been a queen of Amenhotep II.

Maybe someday we'll know more.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thutmose III had a wife sitre i think. maybe an inherited concubine?
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you meant Sityah
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And she was Thutmose III's first Great Wife and seems to have pre-deceased her husband and been succeeded by Merytre-Hatshepsut. She stands behind Queen Merytre and in front of another King's Wife and a King's daughter - all apparently deceased except for Merytre - in Thutmose III's tomb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: