Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptian Gods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Egyptian Gods Reply with quote

hi there just wondering if any of you could help me here, I'm attempting to piece together an Egyptian deity chart to show who links with who, I may be attempting the impossible but I think it would help me understand reasons for being etc. I due to start an degree in egyptology so any help would be useful. my chart starts with the eight frog head spirit pairs through Ra, the children of Ra shu tefnut min bastet taurt and maat and so right down to the union of hathor and horus however I am a little confussed Question ? who are the parents of thoth and Seshat? or was seshat not thoths sister and wife? maybe thoth was self created? also what would be great is lesser know gods/goddesses and where they fit in to the scheme of things? thanks all for your help!!! Laughing

luv suez
wannabe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are Taurt and Seshat?

Sorry to start by answering a question with a question!

This is what I thought:

Ra became three Gods by an act of masturbation!

Ra, Shu and Tefnut.

Shu and Tefnut then had the children Geb and Nut.

Geb and Nut then had the children Osiris, Isis, Seth, Nephthys and Horus (the elder).

Osiris and Isis then have Horus (the younger) who marries Hathor.

After that things become very confusing.

I believe Anubis was the love child of the affair between Osiris and Nephthys.

Hathor and Sekhmet are one and the same person! I believe Ra turned Hathor into Sekhmet to kill the non-believers. Sekmet was with Ptah.

Sekmet and Ptah had Nefertem (the triad of Memphis), they also had Imhotep.

Amun (Amun-Ra) and Mut had Khons (the triad of Thebes).

I don't think Thoth or Maat were placed in the family tree!?!? I think Thoth was created from Ra, Atum and Khepri. That is why he was considered very wise. Maat was supposed to be the daughter of Ra BUT rose with him during creation, so could be also considered his sister!

I thought Min was also part of Ra? He was sometimes called Amun-Min.
As for Hapi and Khnum I have no idea.

Also I have no idea where these figure: Bastet, Bes, Neith, Nun, Serket, Sobek.

Well I think Sobek was just created because they had alot of crocodile attacks!

Have I helped? ..............................................................Sorry! Rolling Eyes
Suez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you see that is exactly the problem, ever where I look there are different versions of what actually happened seshat I think is the female version of thoth but then some books say that she's his sister and wife then there is a little confussion as to where thoth actually comes into in one book says that he was the child of horus and seth which is obviously wierd but reading into it seth swallowed a seed which horus gave him, he gave birth on his forehead and thoth was formed I think i need to go back to the drawing board. there are too many versions to sort through

I have been lead to believe that Ra created Maat in to keep order in the world and the she inturn formed a union with thoth!!

can you see now why I thought I was attempting the impossible?

little confussed as to whether you mean you dont know who the other gods or where they fit in?

Taurt is sometime seen as mother of osiris and Isis but there is obviously more accounts that contradict this and she is seen as the protecter of rebirth and the after life centred in thebes (as most gods are) and Deir el bahir (excuse the spelling if i got that wrong)

but yeah thanx that kinda helps think what ill do is many trees and then kinda see which one seems more inclinded to the thruth!!

luv suez x
Steve
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seshat was goddess of writing

: Very Happy
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Seshat was goddess of writing

: Very Happy
Thoth was thought to be her male counterpart and father, and she was often depicted as his wife by the Egyptians

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool I dident know that Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if I remember correctly Taurt is an ugly god of child birth
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book by Nicolas Grimal (translated into english because i dont speak french). sitting in front of me.

There are three primary beliefs systems one is

One which is bases out of heliopolis its go re at the head there are nine

one has eight 4 pairs of male and female gods

another one had a god ptah at the top and that one gets weird.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: does any one know where i can i find Maats family tree? Reply with quote

wannabe wrote:
Who are Taurt and Seshat?

Sorry to start by answering a question with a question!

This is what I thought:

Ra became three Gods by an act of masturbation!

Ra, Shu and Tefnut.

Shu and Tefnut then had the children Geb and Nut.

Geb and Nut then had the children Osiris, Isis, Seth, Nephthys and Horus (the elder).

Osiris and Isis then have Horus (the younger) who marries Hathor.

After that things become very confusing.

I believe Anubis was the love child of the affair between Osiris and Nephthys.

Hathor and Sekhmet are one and the same person! I believe Ra turned Hathor into Sekhmet to kill the non-believers. Sekmet was with Ptah.

Sekmet and Ptah had Nefertem (the triad of Memphis), they also had Imhotep.

Amun (Amun-Ra) and Mut had Khons (the triad of Thebes).

I don't think Thoth or Maat were placed in the family tree!?!? I think Thoth was created from Ra, Atum and Khepri. That is why he was considered very wise. Maat was supposed to be the daughter of Ra BUT rose with him during creation, so could be also considered his sister!

I thought Min was also part of Ra? He was sometimes called Amun-Min.
As for Hapi and Khnum I have no idea.

Also I have no idea where these figure: Bastet, Bes, Neith, Nun, Serket, Sobek.

Well I think Sobek was just created because they had alot of crocodile attacks!

Have I helped? ..............................................................Sorry! Rolling Eyes
dezzykat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: this was very helpful Reply with quote

Are there any other books out there that you guys would know of that could help me with the whole family tree thing for the egypitian gods? I'm trying to see how Baset fits into the whole tree. Many of the sorces I find on the web say that Ra is her father but I can't find a family tree that shows her as being part of the family. As far as I have been able to fing Ra was both a male and a female so that would explain any children that he has with no partner.
Any help is appreciated on tha books and family tree.
thx
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your trying to acheive the unacheivable.. if that made sense.. lol umm.. why do i say that? because im not sure even the egyptians could keep track of it. i think slowly through the ages the stories slightly changed .. which means i think for you to try and complete this properly.. you will have to choose a speific time period and THEN try and figure out the way it worked and what they blieved for the people at the time.. man i hope i make sense..
Mal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Thoth Reply with quote

hey can anyone help me by telling me some stories about Thoth??????????????????????????????????????? reply as soon as u can Laughing Very Happy Shocked
Code:
[quote][/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: