Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authentic shabti??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimirayyng
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Authentic shabti?? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Purchased this shabti from an antique shop in bath UK a few years back,
5 cm high with green glaze. The shop owner assured me it was authentic 20th dynasty. what do you guys think?? cheers jimi

[/img]
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you heard him right?

Did he say 20th Dynasty or 20th Century (meaning CE)?

There's no way I can see of dating these things. But if the shop owner assured you of its authenticity, then what documentation does he have to back it up? I would bet he doesn't have any. And he'd better not have "lost" it in his files somewhere, or his dog ate it, or anything.

Sorry, without further evidence my money is on the 20th Century.

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few posts now asking for reassurance about whether or not their piece is an authentic piece from Ancient Egypt! Is not extremely hard to now sell or get hold of something with such value and antiquity or am I mistaken? Idea
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianRose wrote:
I have seen a few posts now asking for reassurance about whether or not their piece is an authentic piece from Ancient Egypt! Is not extremely hard to now sell or get hold of something with such value and antiquity or am I mistaken? Idea

I would suggest that most of these items are what the post authors hoped wouldn't be the case- fakes. Fakes are not always easy to spot - but as Bob rightly points out- Provenance? Without this- it doesnt matter if its a fake or not. No provenance, no inscription, no detail, nothing to study, move on?

Many real items in museums suffer for the lack of provenance. You would be surprised how many items in our museums are unprovenanced.

EgyptianRose - recently there have been a number of Ancient Egyptian artifact smuggling plots uncovered. What about the items which do leave Egypt? Real items?

The black market is still very much in full swing.

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: