Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if Nefertiti Killed Tut's Mother?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frater0082
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: What if Nefertiti Killed Tut's Mother? Reply with quote

This question has dawned on my ever since I saw that limestone relief of
Nefertiti smitting a female enemy could this female enemy be Tut's mother? To me it makes some sense, because Nefertiti wasn't the only wife of Ankhenaten and if anyone of Ankhenaten other wives would have given him a son wouldn't that wife would have taken Nefertiti's place as the Geat Royal Wife.

So in way can we say the enemy of Nefertiti could have been another wife of her husband? help me out i'm new here
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nefertiti smited female enemies in the same way a pharoah did it with male ones. symbolism. i doubt nefertiti ever executed anyone.

tut's mother was the sister of akhenaten, a princess so i doubt nefertiti would have publicly done anything to harm her. treason among the royals seems to have the punishment of suicide, so i doubt this is something real.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the enemies who are executed in depictions like this usually if not always represent Egypt`s traditional foreign enemies, mostly Nubians, Lybians and Asiatics.
They are not meant to represent the king` s or in this case Nefertiti`s personal enemy.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the most likely candidate to be King Tutankhamun's mother?
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take into account the JAMA paper Tut's mother (KV35 younger female mummy) is a full sister of whoever the KV55 mummy is (Akhenaten or Smenkhkare), and that means one of the daughters of Amenhotep III and Tiye, so take your pick from Sitamun, Iset, Nebetah, Hennutaneb or Baketaten.

The age of KV35YL is between 25 and 35 according to the SCA press release published when the CT scans were made public (there is a version of this press release still online at Dr Hawass' site: http://www.drhawass.com/blog/press-release-ct-scans-egyptian-mummies-valley-kings). The age of that mummy for me means that Baketaten is not in the frame because she is depicted at Amarna as a young girl, of a similar age to the eldest of Akhenaten's daughters.

What about Kiya? I'd say Kiya is a candidate if she were an unknown daughter of AIII and Tiye; if so why is she never shown with them and why doesn't she use royal titles? I think we have to rule her out based on known evidence.

Also in the SCA press release is information that the younger lady may have suffered a traumatic facial injury immediately prior to death - others have speculated this may have been from a horse kick, I'm really not sure and I think more work would need to be done to ascertain the cause of death.

Evidence from the tomb of Maia suggests that Tut had an especially close relationship with his wet-nurse, leading me to believe that his mother died early in his life. To answer the OP, I don't think Nefertiti murdered KV35YL, there isn't any evidence that she did, and I don't think there was a motive - as with other Kings, Akhenaten maintained a harem, but Nefertiti was unquestionably the senior queen, as demonstrated by a massive amount of evidence, whereas Tut's mother was such a minor wife that her name is not yet established, despite her being the sister of the King.

The whole thing smacks to me of a political marriage, perhaps to embed Tiye's family into the Royal Family; so Tut's mother was just a wife but Nefertiti was Akhenaten's chosen wife.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
The whole thing smacks to me of a political marriage, perhaps to embed Tiye's family into the Royal Family; so Tut's mother was just a wife but Nefertiti was Akhenaten's chosen wife.

since akhenaten is the son of tiye, i would say she doesn't need her daughter married to a son to 'embed' her family into the monarchy. and i think the reason we don't know the name of tut's mother, is simply because her husband was never king in her lifetime. i believe, as do many, that kv 55 is smenkhkare. tutankhamun was born before he was pharaoh, so it's plausible that the younger lady died before his accession. his only known wife from inscriptions was meritaten.

i'm not too sure the theory she had a facial accident in life is sure. hawass denied it until he did the DNA, and his beliefs were dodgy at best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: