Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the race to bury king tut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meretseger wrote:
My pet theory is that Aye and Horemheb were dedicated to turning Tutankhamun into a classic New Kingdom Pharaoh and perfectly happy with their status as high officials and his chief advisors as well as quite possibly being personally fond of the boy - who they after all raised! ...

Totally my opinion. Everything else makes little sense to me. I found the idea with the killer Aja or Horemheb always completely absurd. Why wait 9 years if I can kill a child who is more exposed to me as an adult? If I really want to become Pharaoh...

Greetings, Lutz.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye had served the dynasty devotedly all his life - and been very well rewarded. Why would he suddenly turn murderous in his old age? Horemheb had built himself an elaborate private tomb at saquara demonstrating his own power and wealth under Tut, he didn't have much of a motive either. The sudden death of the pharaoh they had invested everything in must have come as a catastrophe. And if his widow really did invite in the Hittites what was there left to do but step into the breech themselves?
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Meretseger wrote:
My pet theory is that Aye and Horemheb were dedicated to turning Tutankhamun into a classic New Kingdom Pharaoh and perfectly happy with their status as high officials and his chief advisors as well as quite possibly being personally fond of the boy - who they after all raised! ...

Totally my opinion. Everything else makes little sense to me. I found the idea with the killer Aja or Horemheb always completely absurd. Why wait 9 years if I can kill a child who is more exposed to me as an adult? If I really want to become Pharaoh...

Greetings, Lutz.

Exactly. The murder theory had alway lacked hard evidence (the only apparent evidence being a supposed blow to the head which now has been blown itself) and motive.

The only motive that supporters of the murder theory usually brought up was that towards the end of his reign Tut might have drifted off course trying to revive or at least favour Atenism which he still was fond of.

Again there is no evidence for this, the often cited skull cap with the Aten`s cartouches on it being just a tiny shred in the whole osirian burial assemblage.
On the contrary, a stela from year 8 with an edict for Maya on it which instructed him to tax the land in order to enable the king to make more images for the temples speaks of Tut`s ongoing devotion to the restoration he had initiated.

No reason for anyone to kill him for that...
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Meretseger wrote:

Greetings, Lutz.

Exactly. The murder theory had alway lacked hard evidence (the only apparent evidence being a supposed blow to the head which now has been blown itself) and motive.

The only motive that supporters of the murder theory usually brought up was that towards the end of his reign Tut might have drifted off course trying to revive or at least favour Atenism which he still was fond of.

Again there is no evidence for this, the often cited skull cap with the Aten`s cartouches on it being just a tiny shred in the whole osirian burial assemblage.
On the contrary, a stela from year 8 with an edict for Maya on it which instructed him to tax the land in order to enable the king to make more images for the temples speaks of Tut`s ongoing devotion to the restoration he had initiated.

Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:

I also agree that he was not murdered. Though there is still scope for various scenarios about the restoration that could involve some tensions within the court. He was only nine on becoming king, and what opinions about religion does a nine year old have? I think only those of adults around him. If he were the son of Akhenaten, then I think his Atenist beliefs would probably have been strong, being the only religious beliefs he ever knew. Would these beliefs have been completely reversed by, presumably, Aye. How would he have done this?, by telling Tutankhaten that his own father was so wrong that he now even had to change his own name. Let us say that this name change occured when he was between 10 and 12, would this not have led to some tensions, at least within his own mind. We will never know what psychological trickery he may have been subjected to, or what thoughts he probably kept to himself, at least while still young and vulnerable. I see some scope here for conflict when he was becoming a man, but we will never know.

A more smoother transition away from Atenism could have occured if he was the son of Smenkhare, and if Smenkhare was not a fully signed up member to Atenism, something of course that will probably never been known. Though being raised by parents who may have not been so strong with Aten, would have made Tutankhaten's transition to Tutankhamun a more straight forward affair.

Though in those times all had to obey the King and, at least publicly, had to be seen to support him. I find it impossible to believe that everybody, even within Akhenaten's own family were 100% Atenists. How many simply went with the flow to avoid confrontation, and perhaps death. I'm sure within the private world of the palaces there would have been discussion and argument, seething resentments and hidden hatreds. The effects of Akhenaten were so profound that I do not believe that within only a few years of his death, all was calm and serene within the court, let alone through out the country. There is a great story mostly hidden from us, perhaps one of the greatest human stories ever, so I think it unwise to exclude any possibility, no matter how improbable.

And after all that, and just to be clear, I better say again that I do not think he was murdered, though perhaps others were...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: