Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

West bank hotels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: West bank hotels Reply with quote

Hi,

Can I tap the brains of anyone with knowledge of the hotels on the West Bank, please?

I'm thinking, long term I'm afraid due to financial cramp, of going free-lance on a trip to Luxor. I want to hit the sites on the West bank i.e. Ramesseum, Medinet Habu, Deir el Medina, Valley of the Queens, West Valley and so on at greater length than I have managed so far and thought that instead of travelling over the bridge every day I would base myself on the spot, as it were.

I've had a brief look at some places on the internet but to be honest am not much the wiser as I don't get any sort of feel for how reliable the reviews and sites are. Hence this plea.

If anyone has got any experience of West Bank hotels that they would like to share I would be most grateful. I am on a restricted budget but at my advanced age back-packing is definitely not an option! Some comfort would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first trips to Luxor I stayed at hotels. I know and can recommand the following:

Gezira Hotel & Gardens

Nile Valley Hotel

El Fayrouz Hotel

The restaurant in El Fayrouz is still my favored during stays in Luxor. They are all not far from the public ferry, which invests directly in front of the Luxor-Temple on the East-Bank. To go to the monument and tombs is easy. You can rent a bike, take the public mini busses or of course a taxi.

For some years now I prefer to rent a flat. Normaly I stay here in one of the studios on the roof, with view over the Nile on Luxor-Temple:

Eyehouse Apartments Luxor

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Many thanks Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thanks for the information.

I have had a look at the websites and must admit they all look very promising.

This time I think that I will use a hotel, my Arabic is not very good and renting a flat seems to be a step too far at this stage in my visits to Egypt.

I will take the time to study what these hotels have to say and decide where I go.

Thanks again. Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Many thanks Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
... This time I think that I will use a hotel, ...

As I said, for the first times I have done also and it is for sure the better way to start.

A M Street wrote:
... my Arabic is not very good and renting a flat seems to be a step too far at this stage in my visits to Egypt. ...

The language would not be the problem. The owners (a women from Denmark and an Egyptian scool teacher) speak both perfect English. They are also live in the houses and always there and very friendly and helpful.

There are also some hotels in Medinet Habu, but I never stayed in one. And you are really away from the East-Bank. One is, for example, direct in front of the Temple:

Hotel "Amenophis" .

Greetings, Lutz.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andrew, as a long term resident on the West Bank of Luxor I think I can help you with answers to your questions.
Rather than clog up the forum with chat why don't you send me a PM and we can discuss your requirements.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with any hotels or businesses here. Just been retired here for 5 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: