Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Height of Pharaohs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Height of Pharaohs Reply with quote

From what I've read, the average height of an Ancient Egyptian male was approximately 162 - 164 cm tall, is that correct?

I know that Thutmose the III was 161 - 162 cm tall which is relatively short compared to the male height standards now days, which is why some call him the Ancient Egyptian Napoleon.

Also Tutankhamun was about 180 cm tall, which if I'm correct is quite tall compared to the approximate average height of an Ancient Egyptian male.

I was trying to discover how tall Ramesses II was, due to a documentary I watched stating that Ramesses was rather short, though when I looked it up I got a variety of answers ranging from 170cm throughout to 182 cm tall? How tall was Ramesses the II?

Also I would be interested in knowing Hatshepsut's height, seeming there's no definite answer for that either.
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you look at books on the royal mummies, they usually give height. if no one else has managed the question, i will dig up one of the books i've seen it.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to G.Elliot Smith's mummy index, Rameses II height was 1.733 m. I'm not sure, given his extreme age at death and effects of mummification, if this figure accurately reflects what his full height may have been before old age shrinkage.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the royal mummies by francis janot says ramses II was 5.67 ft tall or 1.73 metres. the following is from the same book:

tao II- 5.57 ft/1.70 metres
ahmose I- 5.34 ft/1.63 metres
amenhotep I- 5.41 ft/1.65 metres

tuthmose I- 5.08 ft/1.55 metres
thutmose II- 5.51 ft/1.68 metres
hatshepsut- height not recorded
thutmose III- 5.28 ft/1.61 metres
amenhotep II- 5.47 ft/1.67 metres. the mummy is noted as being 6.5 ft/2 metres before being unwrapped!!
thutmose IV- 5.41 ft/1.65 metres
amenhotep III- height not recorded
akhenaten and smenkhkare- discussed under the kv 55 mummy, but no height recorded.
tutankhamun- 5.57 ft/1.70 metres

ramses I- height not recorded
seti I- 5.44 ft/1.66 metres
merneptah- 5.64 ft/1.72 metres
seti II- 5.38 ft/1.64 metres
siptah- 5.38 ft/1.64 metres

ramses III- height not recorded
ramses IV- 5.24 ft/1.60 metres
ramses V- 5.57 ft/1.70 metres
ramses VI- height not recorded

tawosret and amenmesses have not been identified yet, along with sethnahkte, ramses VII and VIII, X ans XI.

ramses IX has been identified, found in the deir el bahri cache, but has never been examined, and is not mentioned in the book at all.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is clear from these figures that the taller (say 1,70 m onwards) mummies are found among the the kings from the 19/20th dynasty.
That`s definitely due to a different genepool and probably also a different area of origin.

The estimate of Tut`s height with 1,70 is already quite a high one given that his mummy measured only 1,63 m. The 1,80 m mentioned in the initial post were calculated by some researcher (maybe Ashraf Selim, I am not sure) based on a long bone, but I think this is out of question.

In general the ancient Egyptians, like most other ancient people, were definitely shorter than modern humans.
Is this due to the "setback" in height that the farming people experienced due to the change in their nutrition compared to the taller hunter-gatherers with their protein rich diets?
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rammesides are thought to be of levantine ancestry, so maybe that accounts for a bit of height.

i think it's hard to say if people are taller now than in the millenia since the new kingdom. some times when you are in a group of people or watching them, they are all the same height, such as the cast of charmed or big bang theory, where they all roughly 5'3-5'5. most actresses in hollywood are no taller than 5'5, does that mean that's average height for american women, or is that in the entertainment industry?

i know a lot of people 6 ft or more, growing up that was unusual, but these days it is the norm for men. so is that an honest idea of height?

i think it depends on where you live, and what you have in your ancestry to be honest.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
akhenaten and smenkhkare- discussed under the kv 55 mummy, but no height recorded.

Harrison states the height in his study about KV 55:

It is possible to conclude from the above observations that the remains are undoubtedly from a man, less than 25 years of age, and about 5 ft. 7 ins in height at the time of death. (Harrison 1966: 111)

Reference:

Harrison, R. G. 1966. An Anatomical Examination of the Pharaonic Remains Purported to be Akhenaten. JEA 52: 95-119.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5'7? wow that's tall for them! must be tiye's side!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
5'7? wow that's tall for them! must be tiye's side!

Tiye is described as a small woman 1 meter 45.5 cm
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/eos/eos_page.pl?DPI=100&callnum=DT57.C2_vol59&object=45

Very Happy So not from that side of the family I think.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking around genetics, and the male line of thutmosids being shorter than kv 55 i would say it is possible tiye had tall relatives. but then again so could the queens before her, or the the numerous princes and princesses before them that we have nothing on.

is the height of yuya and thuya recorded anywhere?
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to fairly recent sources Thutmose III was actually taller than originally thought.

"In his examination of the mummy, the anatomist Grafton Elliot Smith stated the height of Thutmose III's mummy to be 1.615m (5 ft. 3.58in.).[69] This has led people to believe that Thutmose was a short man, but Smith measured the height of a body whose feet were absent, so he was undoubtedly taller than the figure given by Smith.[70]"

Forbes, Dennis C. Tombs, Treasures, Mummies: Seven Great Discoveries of Egyptian Archaeology, p.631. KMT Communications, Inc. 1998.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: