Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site with the names of all pharaohs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLstrom
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Site with the names of all pharaohs Reply with quote

Hey all,
After doing the Abydos, Saqqara and Karnak king lists drawing and putting them on wikipedia a couple years ago, I started compiling a list of the pharaohs, and it just grew and grew.

I'm currently building a website with the aim of putting ALL hieroglyphic names of all pharaohs online. I've been compiling TONS of names and I'm still in the progress of building it, and got much data to enter before it's even half complete. It is a hobby I enjoy immensely, so I thought I'd share it with the world.

So far, I've (painstakingly) entered 879 hieroglyphic names of 227 pharaohs, and I'd hazard a guess that about I'm halfway done. I'm updating almost every day, as much as time permits.

The plan is to add all known variants of all names I can possibly find. Maybe a mad plan, I know. It started as a Word document, but became too unwieldy, so I thought, why not put it online? That way I could access it anywhere.

I also became fascinated by where the names Cheops, Ramesses etc. really came from, and just had to add the original Greek names to the mix too.

I'm using JSesh, a great Open Source hieroglyphics editor for all the hieroglyphs, exporting the hieroglyphs as images then entering everything into a database.

The site? It is here: The Royal Titulary of Ancient Egypt. It is pretty much just a terse listing of the names.

I really would appreciate comments, good or bad. Bear in mind that it is not even close to being finished - yet.

Peter
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!!!! Very Happy Thankyou
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent site, so much info thank you.

I think I will be using it a lot on my next Exeter Uni course if that's OK, with credit to you of course Very Happy

Following your progress now on Twitter. (I agree re Facebook Laughing )
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
PLstrom
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoy it. There's bound to be a bunch errors, after all, it is a lot of data...

Most of the information is easy to come by, but there are quite a few that requires digging in old tomes, the hard (but fun) work lies in compiling it all. I especially like Carl Lepsius' "Denkmaler". What a treasure trove that is, and being from the mid 1800's it is still an excellent source.

As the first stage, I'm trying to get all the pharaohs online, with their basic names. Then, for stage 2 I will fill in their alternate names, which are many!

The hardest part is the Intermediate Periods and those dynasties like the 13th, which is incomplete and have conflicting archaeological and historical evidence/sources. It is not easy to tell the line of succession, as not even Egyptologists can agree on many of them. Reaching a consensus seems to be quite hard...

I'm chipping away, this is a fun hobby Smile
MUTNODJMET
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love for the site to include the English translation of the ancient Egyptian names. I am always looking for the meaning of the Throne names for various rules, as a view to what they wanted to express in their name selection.

This is truly a FABULOUS site, and I am bookmarking it. Thanks for all the effort on it.
egyla
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very brave project indeed!
You must have spent a lot of time building this website. Thank you for all the effort you put in this site!
Horus2
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge task indeed, but you have done much work already and in a great manner. Maybe when you are done, you can consult some historical information. Many pharaohs have made changes to their Horus names, some have done it even tree times, like Mentuhotep II (which is actually the first king with that name).
XII dynasty maid have some more Inyotefs wich are usually ommited, check Wolfram Grajetski. The Middle Kingdom of Ancient Egypt. London 2006.
Another useful literature:

W. Budge .The book of kings of Egypt. London 1908 / You can find that free for download. Search for: Books on Egypt and Chaldaea. vol. XXIV, you will also need Vol. XXIII.
Horus2
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing....
You have manage to show a Greek script, it will be great if you can do the same for the transliteration.
cormac mac airt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Site with the names of all pharaohs Reply with quote

PLstrom wrote:
Hey all,
After doing the Abydos, Saqqara and Karnak king lists drawing and putting them on wikipedia a couple years ago, I started compiling a list of the pharaohs, and it just grew and grew.

I'm currently building a website with the aim of putting ALL hieroglyphic names of all pharaohs online. I've been compiling TONS of names and I'm still in the progress of building it, and got much data to enter before it's even half complete. It is a hobby I enjoy immensely, so I thought I'd share it with the world.

So far, I've (painstakingly) entered 879 hieroglyphic names of 227 pharaohs, and I'd hazard a guess that about I'm halfway done. I'm updating almost every day, as much as time permits.

The plan is to add all known variants of all names I can possibly find. Maybe a mad plan, I know. It started as a Word document, but became too unwieldy, so I thought, why not put it online? That way I could access it anywhere.

I also became fascinated by where the names Cheops, Ramesses etc. really came from, and just had to add the original Greek names to the mix too.

I'm using JSesh, a great Open Source hieroglyphics editor for all the hieroglyphs, exporting the hieroglyphs as images then entering everything into a database.

The site? It is here: The Royal Titulary of Ancient Egypt. It is pretty much just a terse listing of the names.

I really would appreciate comments, good or bad. Bear in mind that it is not even close to being finished - yet.

Peter

Nice site. You've done a great job. To the pre-dynastic period you might want to also add such kings as Scorpion I, Falcon, Lion, Pe-Hor, Double Falcon, Hat-Hor, Ny-Hor, Hedjw-Hor, Iry-Hor, Crocodile, Scorpion II and Ka to your list.

Keep up the good work.

cormac
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PLstrom I like your work abuot king lists on Wikipedia, and especially because my field of interest are the names of all pharaohs from I-XXX dynasty, so I can tell that is may field of work right now I wanna to ask you, what source for names you use when you making image of Turin King List on Wikipedia?

PLstrom
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was made from plates in Meyer's Chronology see below.
I wish I had access to Gardiner's or Farina's editions...

Here's my list of sources (in chronological order):
Lepsius, Carl Richard Königsbuch der alten Ägypter, (Berlin: 1858)
Meyer, Eduard Aegyptische Chronologie, (Berlin 1904)
Farina, Giulio Il Papiro dei re, restaurato, (Rome 1938)
Gardiner, Alan Royal Canon of Turin, (London 1959)
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jürgen von Beckerath : Handbuch der Ägyptischen Königsnamen. - [Münchner Ägyptologische Studien - MÄS - 49]. - Mainz : von Zabern, 1999. - 2nd, rev. and ext. Ed. from the 1st in 1984. - ISBN : 3-8053-2591-6. - XX, 314 p.

The bible for the names of the kings. German is not really necessary to use and understand it. Difficult to buy (starting from 180,- € up to 880,- €) but it should be available over a library.

Norbert Dautzenberg : Die Wahl der königlichen Namen im Verlauf der ägyptischen Geschichte - Ein Beitrag zur Rolle des ägyptischen Herrschers als geschichtliche Person und zu diversen Einzelproblemen der pharaonischen Chronologie. - [Gewidmet Jürgen von Beckerath aus Anlass seines 80. Geburtstages am 19. Februar 2000]. - S.I. : Selbstverlag, 2000. - 69 p.

For this you should be able to read German. It is a very interesting try to interpret the meaning (political / religeous) of the single names. And it is for free ... If you know someone who has a copy (allowed by the author).

Greetings, Lutz.
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I started making list of all versions of hieroglyfic names ever writen or carved about 3 years ago, but stoped at 18th dynasty, because I don't have enough time. Now I plan to continue my work, so PLStorm if you are interested in cooperation it would be great to make it together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: