Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Ancient Egyptian religion still practiced?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sivaroobini
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke - Thank you! Smile

Hathorhotep - I do. And I'm sure many others do too.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it's possible to practice the religion of the Ancient Egyptians in modern Egypt simply because we know hardly anything about the detail of how there various rituals were carried out.

Do we know how many times a day the ae prayed per day?
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you be surprised how much is known about the practise of the A.E. religion. There are quite some detailed works about that. Off course we have to rely mainly on texts found back in temples an sometimes tombs, and it is actually one giant puzzle. Still Egyptologists were able to reconstruct how the daily service was held in the main temples from about during the Middle Kingdom until the Ptolemae era. Also from some festivals.

It is true however that it is in modern day and way of living very difficult to maintain the ancient rites and e.g. celebrate all the ancient festivals. But people who really believe in Khemetism, as myself, are perfectly able to uphold at least a part of the Ancient way the Egyptians celebrated their religion. Non the less, it takes years of study to really achieve that, well internet has speeded up things a bit, there is much easier access to information. It took myself many years off collecting books to get to some point were I can truly say that I almost can perform the ancient rituals as they were executed in the Ancient times. At least some off them.

To have full understanding of it, we would be in need of the translation of every single text on all the temples of A.E. And still then, it would be a huge task to review all of these and try to link them. Since in different temples the rites could also differ.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all very interesting
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Ancient Egypt Groups Practicing Reply with quote

Link Removed By Admin
As far as I know my group above is the only one practising in the UK though there are a couple in America.
Egyptology societies have huge memberships (UK) eg 350 in Notts- Chesterfield. Many many Pagans revere and use Egyptian gods but the trouble is wading and studying the literature with its pigeon translations.
I created the group after 40 years study to practice in the Ancient Way as a whole teaching - the Book of the Dead of the Saite recension by Budge.
The rituals and initiation system has been loving recreated and is slowly being empowered.
The Book of the Dead ie The Book of the Coming forth by Day simply means ' Enlightenment Guidebook '

Bast and Bes are male and female aspects of the same deity. For instance the BoD says " The male cat is Ra himself "
No need to stress - the Bod has abundant explanations alternative renderings and suggestions as to how to create ritual models or pictures and how to use them. As well as what to expect as you progress.
From beginning to the highest and most sublime states.

Please note I am still developing the site slowly.
mvpapaioannou
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Ancient Egyptian religion still practiced? Reply with quote

Sobek101 wrote:
This comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_religion#Legacy

"Due to continued interest in Egyptian belief, in the late 20th century several new religious groups formed based on different reconstructions of ancient Egyptian religion."

Just wondering if anyone could clarify this.

It is also still practiced as part of wider system of belief within several esoteric orders. Probably the most famous one was (and is) the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. One of the founders, Mathers together with his wife Moina, created an Ancient Egyptian temple in Paris with much success. Have a look at this link: http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displaycontent.aspx?pageid=143-isis-worship-in-paris

Today, the HOGD tradition is still very much alive, continuing through through various different branches or systems, such as the Golden Dawn (Cicero), Golden Dawn (Griffin), Sodalitas Rosae Crucis, Esoteric Golden Dawn, Open source Golden Dawn, Thelemic Golden Dawn, etc. etc., which all involve several aspects of the Ancient Egyptian religion. All of the outer order initiation are based on Ancient Egyptian cosmogony, specific god-forms and their relations between them, i.e. Isis - Set/ Apophis/ - Osiris.

Wink
Delaja
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Ancient Egyptian Belief System Reply with quote

Dear All,

The ancient Egyptian belief system stemming from the shafts of the Great Pyramid were:
Orion - Sirius - Draco - Ursa Minor

They represent in ancient Egyptian religion:
Osiris - Isis - Tawaret - Upuat/Herakhty

In Christianity we can make the following distinction:
Joseph - Maria - God - Christ
Joseph from Jausa (the giant Osiris)
Maria from Mirium or Sirius (mistranslation from m to s)
God in a monotheistic religion seen as the main god, around whom the angels circle (Tawaret/Draco had the pole star in ancient times)
Christ from Herakhty, Horus, Kyr-Isidas, son of Isis in Greek
Jesus Christus is two gods in one, the mother Isis and the son Herakhty. Isis was the goddess of magic. In religion Jesus performed miracles.
Magic and miracles?

Christianity comes from Judaism comes from the ancient Egyptian belief system. In Judaism for example the saviours of the Israelites are:
Orion as Aaron
Sirius as Mirium (mistranslation m/s)
Draco as YHWH
Shamash (the sun) as Musu/Moses

Is anyone interested in publishing my book with proof of this theory?

The ancient Egyptians did not have a word for 'religion'.
Religion seems mass control of our belief system forced into a monopoly by ways of crusades, holocausts, witch-hunts and scary stories about hell and damnation. If they don't kill you, they frighten you to belief in God. Well modern Christianity is losing grip now, so the methods are less violent as in the past. If you think for yourself, you can see the truth: all world religions also including hinduism, islam and buddhism are founded on the same principles. It is always the gods who created humans, never the other way around. But gods are our coping mechanism for everything we don't know. About the cosmos, about the earth and nature. Still I admire the beautiful arts of these religions, its architecture, statues, images, creativity. But I know it is all based on the ideas we now call stars, planets, sun, earth, water, wind, storm, life and death. If we accept each other for who we are and what we think, then we can live in peace and everyone is free to belief in the god of his choice with respect for others who do the same. I believe we are capable of doing that. But the question remains...when?
EgyptianDragon
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Practising of Ancient Egyptian religion Reply with quote

So Christianity would be an offshoot of the worship of Horus. Horus is a solar deity. But there is no falcon imagery of Jesus as far as I know.
I looked up the Greek word for 'of the hawks' / 'of the falcons'. It is γεράκι του (geraki tou). It does resemble Herakhty and I can see the phonetic resemblance with the Latin 'Christi'.

I can also see the relation with Osiris becoming a sort of holy ghost in death, being able to impregnate Isis by her magic. Sirius is one of the stars of the seven virgins, and is associated with Isis.

Christianity could be an earlier revival of the Horus-worship than the modern ways of worship of ancient Egyptian deities that are mentioned in this topic.

Horus helped (Al) Osiris rise from the grave.
Christ helped Lazarus rise from the grave.
Makes me wonder.

I also wonder if anyone of the practitioners of the ancient Egyptian religion today has comparissons with the forms Christianity is expressed?
Can any of you practitioners comment on this?
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianDragon/Delaja, signing up with different names is still going to result in your account/s being suspended.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: