Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aperel, Vizier under Amenhotep and Akhenaten
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering... Reply with quote

[quote="Mykerinos]

Hm, i dont wanted to start a bible-discussion here. I thought, this is a science board? [/quote]

It is a history board and the OT is a historical source as well as a religious document. As we learned from Schliemann it is unwise to ignore what a people say about their own history, however mythologized it may be.

Quote:
Only short: Joseph, you are right, argueing with the bible, was only a family of 70 persons. But than the Bible claims, they stayed 400 years in egypt, than they made Exodus ("with 600.000 male"). So it would have been Millions (include women and childs).

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear I believe that no more than you do. All ancient sources tend to exagerate their numbers. Like I said, wandering Beduin never come in large lots. Evidence suggests that escapees from Egypt (assuming there were some) were only one component of the allied tribes that became the Israelite people.

[quote]Archaeological evidences about the Habiru were left in Egypt, but they weren't millions, they lived not at one place for a long period and they didnt make an Exodus (in that form, the bible claims). (/quote)

I agree. Everybody embroiders their origin myth.
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering... Reply with quote

Here is a copy of a text from the tomb of Aperel:

At the bottom is a section that refers to his wife. It says:

nbt pr wriAi mAat xrw

Since feminine names do not commonly have such an ending, I propose that this might be the Semitic version of her Egyptian name, which amounts to

"wr-el-i" or "Great is my God". In Semitic the suffix "i" means "my", the same as in Egyptian. From what others have said, I assume the wife is also called "Weret", although not in this text. If other names can have a combination of Egyptian and Semitic, such as "apr + deity"--then I assume it is also possible in this case. But it's also possible that this is merely some unusual hypocoristicon of Weret.
Mykerinos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering... Reply with quote

[quote="SidneyF"]
Since feminine names do not commonly have such an ending, I propose that this might be the Semitic version of her Egyptian name, which amounts to
"wr-el-i" or "Great is my God". In Semitic the suffix "i" means "my", the same as in Egyptian. From what others have said, I assume the wife is also called "Weret", although not in this text. If other names can have a combination of Egyptian and Semitic, such as "apr + deity"--then I assume it is also possible in this case. But it's also possible that this is merely some unusual hypocoristicon of Weret.[/quote]

"not commonly", you "propose", it "might be" ..............
That is gambling, not science.

The name of Aperias Wife is very difficult, some mean it could be semitic, but they prefere it mostly because of they are thinking that Aperia would be Semitic. So otherwise many think, she is Egyptian.

I stay in my opinion: Calling Aperia (perhaps with Wife) semitic only because of difficult name-transcripting is not good science, since there are no other hints for semitic origins of them.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering... Reply with quote

SidneyF wrote:

"wr-el-i" or "Great is my God". In Semitic the suffix "i" means "my", the same as in Egyptian. From what others have said, I assume the wife is also called "Weret", although not in this text. If other names can have a combination of Egyptian and Semitic, such as "apr + deity"--then I assume it is also possible in this case. But it's also possible that this is merely some unusual hypocoristicon of Weret.

If the alternative name of Aperia's wife is semitic, her name would rather mean "My Ya (god) is Fire (wri-ya-i)
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering... Reply with quote

SidneyF wrote:

If the alternative name of Aperia's wife is semitic, her name would rather mean "My Ya (god) is Fire (wri-ya-i)
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering... Reply with quote

See page 94 of Hoffmeier's book here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XBX3_d5E4-gC&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=Aperel+AND+Semitic&source=bl&ots=sHRTKrEe0H&sig=n2gGbyj76CKo1YwxavLd8cCsgcg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=09MsUYixCqm4yQHE3YFI&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Aperel%20AND%20Semitic&f=false
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zivie itself remains for my taste in this case also very cautious...

(From Alan Zivie : The Treasury of Aper-El. - In: Egyptian Archaeology 01. - 1991. - pp. 26 - 28, on page 28.)

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: