Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How old is the Sphinx
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianRose wrote:
I suppose that could be a contribution as to why the sphinx's nose vanished? Which leads me into my next question. ( I apologize for spamming you with questions, my knowledge about the Sphinx is some what low). Did Nepoleon actually shoot the nose of the Sphinx ? I always thought it was a myth.

That is a myth, but the nose was destroyed by man, but just not the French.

In AH 780 (1378 CE), the nose, ears, and face of the Great Sphinx (all mentioned specifically) were damaged by a sufi of the khanqah of Sa`id al-Su`ada, nicknamed "Sa'im al-dahr" ('He Who Constantly Fasts', something forbidden in Islam). This is reported in al-Maqrizi's "Khitat". See:

al-Maqrizi, Taqi al-Din Ahmad ibn `Ali ibn `Abd al-Qadir ibn Muhammad, and Gaston Wiet. 1924. el-Mawa`iz wa'l-i`tibar fi dhikr el-khitat wa'l-athar. Volume 4: Deuxieme partie, chapt. L-XCIV; section 2:415. Memoires publies par les membres de l'Institut francais d'archeologie orientale du Caire 49. Cairo: Imprimerie de l'Institut francais d'archeologie orientale.

al-Rashidi (who died in AH 803/1400-1 CE) wrote those who mutilate the monuments of the pharaohs were not doing Islam a service. He specifically mentioned how the sahabah (the Companions of the Prophet) did not harm the Sphinx, and then launched into an attack on the iconoclasts of Sa'im al-dahr's day for doing so.

Haarmann, U. 1980. Regional Sentiment in Medieval Islamic Egypt. Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 43:64, citing ibn `Abd al-Salam, Fayd, folio 52a-b.

Katherine Griffis-Greenberg

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good source indeed
this is just a signature
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: