Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Festivals or processions devoted to Ptah?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Festivals or processions devoted to Ptah? Reply with quote

Is it known if Ptah was celebrated with processions or festivals, e.g. at his great temple in Memphis?

I have read that there might have been a festival dedicated to Ptah south of the wall (Memphis) in the second month of Akhet, but I have found virtually no information about it.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one article called repeatedly in this connection... Jocelyne Berlandini : Ptah-démiurge et l'exaltation du ciel. - In: RdE 46. - 1995. - pp. 9-41. (fig., ill., pl.):
AEB 95.0954 wrote:
A "sky-uplifting" (âkh-pet) characterizes Ptah, creative, at least since the end of the XVIIIth Dynasty, through onomastic evidence, texts, feasts and some composite emblems (Dd Spsy, sceptre, crown). This elaboration is drawn from ancient sources that associate the Neferher with Atoum's eldest sons (Shu, Heka) and with a four-ka nature. Raised in the centre of the universe, the god reveals by his position his ties with the angle and the spine, cosmic entity still in evidence in the incommensurable "Giant/Dwarf".

The article is online available, for free only over a library. I do not speak French so I can not say anything about.

What I have found in my private library is a report about the situation in Deir el-Medina. It is from Heidi Jauhiainen : Feasts and Festivals in Non-literary Documents from Ramesside Period Deir el Medina. - Helsinki : University Print, 2009. - ISBN : 978-952-10-5723-6. - pp. 168 - 171 :

Greetings, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your substantial answer Lutz. If I have understood the excerpt correctly, there was an annual feast of Ptah in both Memphis and Thebes or at least Deir El Medina around the third month of Peret.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feast appeared in several feast-calendars in different temples. It had therefore with some confidence at a certain date or in a given time period obtained national significance. The special relationship of the residents of Deir el-Medina to the god Ptah is known. So I think it is no surprise that this feast here was apparently of some importance.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also have a look at these articles...

Giddy / Jeffreys : Memphis, 1992. - In: Journal of Egyptian Archaeology - JEA 79. - 1993. - pp. 11-16.

Lisa Giddy : Memphis 1989 - The Ptah Temple Complex. - In: Bulletin of the Australian Centre for Egyptology - BACE 1. - 1990. - pp. 39-42, 1 Fig., 1 Pl.

Kenneth A. kitchen : Towards a Reconstruction of Ramesside Memphis. - In: Fragments of a Shattered Visage - The Proceedings of the International Symposium on Ramesses the Great - MIEAA Monographs of the Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology 1. - Memphis, 1991. - pp. 87-104.

Lisa Giddy : The Ptah Temple Complex, Memphis - 1992 Season. - In: Bulletin of the Australian Centre for Egyptology - BACE 5. - 1994. - pp. 27-35.

Raymond Johnson : A Ptah-Sokar Barque Procession from Memphis. - In: Under the Potter`s Tree - Studies on Ancient Egypt Presented to Janine Bourriau on the Occasion of her 70th Birthday - OLA - Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 204. - Leuven, Paris, Walpole : 2011. - pp. 531-540.

Greetings, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, your suggestions are very appreciated

/M
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the relevant part from Jocelyne Berlandini : Ptah-démiurge et l'exaltation du ciel. - In: RdE 46. - 1995. - pp. 9-41, pages 29 - 31:

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was hoping that someone speaking French could help with the translation ... Question Question Question

Greetings, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know French either, but if I have time left I'll try to type it into google translate and see what we get...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine from Russia helped me with the translation, but ...
Quote:
The article discusses the date and the place of the fest, but no discription of the festive rites is given. Just only one sentence about traditional hymns and music praising the universal dimension of Ptah-Neferher with probable procession of its idol figured as a “riser”.

Berlandini wrote:
According to the sources from the late period the holiday was celebrated from Mechir 29 (the second month of peret, to Phamenoth 1 (the third month of peret). But the NK sources (pSall IV) speak about the celebrations in Memphis and Delta region on the first day of Mechir. In Esna the day was connected with the great ceremony of the foundation of the potter’s wheel by Chnum, looked like the sky with the sun disk, which marked a half of the year by the sky-uplifting performed by Ptah. The ritual of the “union of the disk and the secrets of the royal birth” is a cosmic image describing the Letopolitain god who set the “sky of the first time” and the memphite creator, Shu, a holder of the sky , in his name Heh, in the workshop Tchepehet-djat. In the ptolemaic temple inscriptions (Dendera, Edfou) and demotic fragments (connected with the holiday “entry the sky” for Ptah and the masters of the sky) it is a source of joy of creation in general that comes back to the rare and allusive occurences in the ramessides texts. While the calendar of Medinet Habou attributes the holiday to its local god Amon and in the Late period it took place in Abydos (after the Book of Respiration).
Thus, it could be connected with “the plain moon” and the holiday of Ptah rsy-jnb.f probably serves as a ground of this concordance. Moreover, there is an important parallel between the first day of the year (Akhet 1) and the 1st day of the 3rd month of peret, the birth of the sun god and the division of the planetary succession (chronocrate) into two (north and sourth) succesions which occur on this certain date. From the late sources we know that the holiday was celebrated in the memphite quarter Tchepehet-djat (modern MitRahina). Ptah reposes under the kiosk in the form of the sky of the first time. This construction of the famous palace of the sky was apparently built by the god himself according to his own model likewise the construction of Khnoum. Hereby, in possible connection with Nun, “the blocked cavern” is known as a sanctuary of the gods and goddesses. This cavern is an underground complex similar to crypts of Chetyt, frequently referred in the NK sources and taken later as a residence of the sacred dwarf, probable hypostase of Ptah-Exaltater. Moreover, this place combines the features of the god’s cenotaph, a speos of Nun and Ptah’s palace and connected with the numerous celebrations of the first day of the 3rd month of peret – "Holiday of rising the sky by Ptah for his son" and "The day of entry the sky by Ptah / masters of the sky”.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: