Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amarna Letters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: The Amarna Letters. Reply with quote

I just begun reading 'The Amarna Letters' by William L. Moran, and already have questions to be asked, so I figured it to be best to create a thread on the topic, for future references and questions...

Is Mayati and Mayatu one of the same person, being that of Meritaten?

In reference to page 19 of 'The Amarna Letters'.

Quote:
and concerning your daughter Mayati having heard (about her), I send to her as her greeting-gift a necklace of cricket-(shaped) gems, of lapis lazuli...

and page 22 of 'The Amarna Letters'...

Quote:
and to the mistress of the house I send 20 "crickets" of genuine lapis lazuli. I know that Mayatu alone did nothing for me by which I am restored to health, and showed no concern for me...

Also of interest to me is this letter (below) from a princess... are we to assume that this princess is Meritaten?

Page 24 of 'The Amarna Letters'.

Quote:
Say to my lord: Thus the princess. For you, your chariots, the men [.............] may all go well. May the gods of Burra-Buriyas accompany you. March in safety, and safely push on so you will see your house (again). In the presence of my lord thus do I prostrate myself, saying "from .....[....] my messenger brings (you) coloured cloth. For your cities and your household may all go well. Do not worry, or you will have made me sad."

Your servant, Kidin-Adad,..... I would give my life for you.

I am not 100% sure what that letter (above) means, the clarity of what it means, would be great also Smile .
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current theory is that Mayati is indeed Meritaten. The fact that she is recieving presents from other monarchs suggest she was acting as First Lady of Egypt but she is not called Akhenaten's wife. I wonder if the 'mistress of your house' might not have been somebody else since the correspondant was clearly upset with 'Mayati' and in no mood to send her presents.
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meretseger wrote:
The current theory is that Mayati is indeed Meritaten. The fact that she is recieving presents from other monarchs suggest she was acting as First Lady of Egypt but she is not called Akhenaten's wife. I wonder if the 'mistress of your house' might not have been somebody else since the correspondant was clearly upset with 'Mayati' and in no mood to send her presents.

I don't think 'the mistress of your house' is that of Mayati, it would appear as if he were talking about two different women, most probably Neferteti and then Meritaten...

All of which leads me to the same question, why is Meritaten receiving gifts and exchanging letters with foreign monarchs, whilst the other princesses (mainly directed at Meketaten) were not?
Could it be that Meritaten was possibly favoured? or just simply because she was the eldest?
Thieuke
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: intentions behind the correspondance? Reply with quote

Do we know what the foreign leader tried to acchieve with his correspondance? Meritaten was the eldest daughter so maybe he was trying to prepare a potential marriage-alliance?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe when talking about the texts it helps to see them...

The Encyclopedia of El Amarna Research Tool

Greetings, Lutz.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very clear are they? So Mayati may have been the 'mistress of his house' and she got a small present to show Burnaburiash's displeasure. Sounds like Nefertiti is out of the picture though.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: intentions behind the correspondance? Reply with quote

Thieuke wrote:
Do we know what the foreign leader tried to acchieve with his correspondance? Meritaten was the eldest daughter so maybe he was trying to prepare a potential marriage-alliance?

It looked to me like he was arranging a marriage for one of his daughters to Akhenaten. Or trying to. I wonder if it ever took place?
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, where in the Amarna Letters Nefertiti is ever mentioned???
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: intentions behind the correspondance? Reply with quote

Thieuke wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking, possibly why he was so displeased toward Meritaten, and her apparent lacking of consideration toward him and his well-being?...

Quote:

Thank you Lutz for that useful webpage, however the letters we are currently referring too, are already quoted above ^^^^^^. Smile

Quote:
BTW, where in the Amarna Letters Nefertiti is ever mentioned???

That's another thought Idea.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: intentions behind the correspondance? Reply with quote

Nefer-Ankhe wrote:
Quote:

Thank you Lutz for that useful webpage, however the letters we are currently referring too, are already quoted above ^^^^^^. Smile

Apart from the extra functions the page offers, like indice seeking and accurate information for the description and identification of the text panels, there are quite different views with the translations...

Greetings, Lutz.
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: intentions behind the correspondance? Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Nefer-Ankhe wrote:
Quote:

Apart from the extra functions the page offers, like indice seeking and accurate information for the description and identification of the text panels, there are quite different views with the translations...

Greetings, Lutz.

Yes, that is why I also thanked you, for posting it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: