Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is this new Pharaoh? (Ahmose)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthur
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Who is this new Pharaoh? (Ahmose) Reply with quote

I am sorry if I being behind the times, but I went to a Friends of the Petrie Museum lecture in London today, given by Aidan Dodson. In passing, he mentioned that a new Pharaoh had been identified, possibly another ahmose. Does anyone know anything about this, please?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Peter Phillips : King Ahmose 0 ( + 1 ?). - In: Ancient Egypt Magazine 72. - 2012. - pp. 25 - 27 :
Quote:
... [On Page 25 :] ... In the last issue of the magazine, AE 71, I reported that, during an excavation conducted by the Centre Franco-Égyptien d’Étude des Temples de Karnak (CFEETK) beside the Temple of Ptah, remains of a Seventeenth Dynasty doorway had been found upon which were recorded the cartouches of a pharaoh whose name had previously been known only from the Turin Canon. This pharoah, Senakht-en-Ra, ruled for a very short period, perhaps only one year, at the very end of the Second Intermediate Period (1650-1550 BC), and was the predecessor of Sequenenra Taa II; his name had been recorded in Egyptology books as Senakht-en-Ra Taa I. This has now been proved to be incorrect, and many books are in need of revision. ...

... [On Page 26 :] ... The high quality limestone from which these blocks are carved may have come from Tura far to the north, or from nearer quarries at Gebelein. It is this doorjamb and the lintel that bear the names of the elusive Seventeeth Dynasty pharaoh Senakht-en-Ra, who had the Horus name Mery-Maat. However the other cartouche of the pharaoh on the door-jamb, his birth name, has been a great surprise (see left). It clearly reads Ahmose, not Taa. ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: