Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoying Zahi Hawass..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Annoying Zahi Hawass.. Reply with quote

Even I have a respect for his work and his atitude, he offten annoying me whit his apperance. He always wears that hat on tv... What with that? Probably he thinks that he is Indiana Jones...

Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people don't particularly like Zahi Hawass that much anymore, concluding he's hypocritical, propagandists, liar and etc, Though he was one of my main inspirations when I was younger. I enjoyed watching all of his documentaries and interviews. I even watched the episodes of his show "Mummy Chasers" or something along those lines Laughing In all respects, he has done over all well for the study/discovery of Ancient Egypt.

So in my opinion, I believe there should be more thanking done than hating Wink

As for the hat Laughing
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefer-Ankhe wrote:
I know people don't particularly like Zahi Hawass that much anymore, concluding he's hypocritical, propagandists, liar and etc, Though he was one of my main inspirations when I was younger. I enjoyed watching all of his documentaries and interviews. I even watched the episodes of his show "Mummy Chasers" or something along those lines Laughing In all respects, he has done over all well for the study/discovery of Ancient Egypt.

So in my opinion, I believe there should be more thanking done than hating Wink

As for the hat Laughing

As I say, I am respectfull to his work and what he done for discoveries of Ancient Egypt history, but he is apperance is annoying to me. I don't hate him, actually I don't hate anybody, I just I'm saying about annoyance.

The thing I am only mad at him is the something I watched in one TV documentary, about resarch of Great Pyramid, in which main research explain and showing up the place in wall in great pyramid which was drilled by Zahi Hawass's team to search for the secret chamber or something else, which is after that sealed up with concrete and bricks. Zahi Hawass never spoked about that...

Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can't say I've always agreed with Dr. Hawass, I also don't agree with a lot of the "piling-on" against him. I think he was a very important leader in Egyptian Egyptology, and did much to develop the interest of the ancient past among the Egyptians themselves, which, in the long run, is the best safeguard of the sites and antiquities.

Unfortunately, I fear that his connections with the Mubarak regime may have damaged this cause; I hope not too severely.
Va Phenix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Zahi Hawass Reply with quote

As an American, I love saying Zahi Hawass. It's almost like I can speak Egyptian! Yes, I'm a bit kooky, and logically I know his name is most likely NOT Egyptian, but he is the closest thing I have to knowing someone who knows something more about the place I love, and Isis willing, . Very Happy will some day get to visit.
He is the type of tv personality needed to get some people, American and otherwise, excited about AE. If you watch him, you should notice that everything to him is "The most Important thing." To me, that is kooky and makes me smile.
I love the guy for doing exactly what he is doing, although, I would prefer for him to be a little more open minded. I can't give a clear example of this at the moment, but I do know I've thought about this before today.
Smile
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me where Hawass went wrong was to mix archaeology and commerce.

I feel that he did a lot for the visibility of Egyptian Egyptology and personally found some of his programmes interesting and informative.

He certainly ruled with a firm hand and managed to make a lot of enemies.

On the other hand it may have been a good thing that he was so controlling in that given the extent of the country and the huge number of vulnerable sites it was inevitable that a little "under the counter" activity went on with "antikas" still being sought after by collectors etc. His attempts to get museums and collectors to return antiquities to Egypt have further increased those opposed to him.

He even asked Michael Bloomberg of New York City to return the obelisk of Tuthmoses lll as the city was not looking after it.

However, by acting as a sort of show business archaeologist and the well known financial arrangements with the Discovery Channel as well as his ventures into such areas as clothing dimished much of the respect that he had earned as the guardian of the heritage of Egypt. By using his position and contacts to make money he devalued his position and appeared to be solely in the archaeology world to enrich himself.

The final nail in the coffin was his acceptance of a place in Mubarak's dying administration and his open support for the former president.

So, Hawass probably did have the good of Egyptian archaelolgy at heart but ruined it by sordid money grubbing.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a slightly different perspective on Hawass I reccomend getting the new book by Bob Brier "Egyptomania". The book itself is excellent all the way through, but worth taking a look at just for the introduction by Hawass. It is quite humerous, and at times laugh out loud funny. I too was not a great fan of some of his TV presentation skills, his expertise as a serious egyptologist not being in doubt, (Generally, as I know some have an irrational hatred of him). Though after reading his introduction, have a rather softer view on him.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... [Hawass] ... his expertise as a serious egyptologist not being in doubt ...

Report: NGS under criminal investigation (Alan Mairson, October 28, 2013)

Greetings, Lutz.
Fire.n.Ice
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Zahi Hawass Reply with quote

Don't know the man personally and have always thought the public person could be quite different from the private person. He has definitely brought Egypt and its history to the attention of the world. I've enjoyed the different TV productions and issues he has brought forward that I've seen.
cal_105
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Zahi Hawass Reply with quote

Fire.n.Ice wrote:
Don't know the man personally and have always thought the public person could be quite different from the private person. He has definitely brought Egypt and its history to the attention of the world. I've enjoyed the different TV productions and issues he has brought forward that I've seen.

Well said. I personally am more interested in the content of his presentations than I am in his dress or demeanor. However, I guess it could be distracting to some.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Zahi Hawass Reply with quote

Fire.n.Ice wrote:
... He has definitely brought Egypt and its history to the attention of the world. ...

Egypt and its history is in attention of the world for more than 2000 years now. For this it took really no Hawass... But he needed his position and power as SCA General Secratary to come at all in the media. Who was ever interested in him as a scientist only? He was forced incorporated into a documentary because he alone decided on who was allowed to rotate locations in Egypt, which were not generally available. And he settled for pay handsomely ...

Fire.n.Ice wrote:
... I've enjoyed the different TV productions and issues he has brought forward that I've seen.

Taste can not argue ... If someone likes "Indiana-Jones-for-the-poor" ... You're welcome. However, the scientific content was usually close to zero, or the whole bordered on demagoguery.

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Zahi Hawass Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Fire.n.Ice wrote:
... He has definitely brought Egypt and its history to the attention of the world. ...

Egypt and its history is in attention of the world for more than 2000 years now. For this it took really no Hawass... But he needed his position and power as SCA General Secratary to come at all in the media. Who was ever interested in him as a scientist only? He was forced incorporated into a documentary because he alone decided on who was allowed to rotate locations in Egypt, which were not generally available. And he settled for pay handsomely ...

In many ways, Hawass did often detract from serious excavation work, imposing certain regulations via the SCA on excavation missions that made work in Egypt almost impossible. However, the most frustrating was his insistence that he - as head of the SCA - alone could make press announcements on any discovery, which he often did in such a way to imply that he made such discoveries. As any excavation mission relies upon external funding and academic release of staff to oversee excavations, when a mission does not get credit for its work, it makes it that much more difficult to get additional funding to continue their work.

Lutz wrote:
Fire.n.Ice wrote:
]... I've enjoyed the different TV productions and issues he has brought forward that I've seen.

Taste can not argue ... If someone likes "Indiana-Jones-for-the-poor" ... You're welcome. However, the scientific content was usually close to zero, or the whole bordered on demagoguery.

From my observation, I cannot recall a situation where Hawass did not have a full-blown opinion of what was discovered/excavated/shown that he stated as absolute fact, but neglected to also cover alternate explanations. Unfortunately, this is not how real archaeology/Egyptology works. If you see any archaeologist that states there is only one interpretation of an ancient Egyptian object (unless specifically inscribed upon the object, which is very rare), then I'd say take anything they say with a huge grain of salt.

There is also the problem of Hawass often ignoring inescapable facts when it suited him. I can recall attending one of Hawass' lectures some years ago which covered KV 63 and hints of KV 64, which had not been formally announced at the time. During the lecture, Hawass went on to express his view about who he thought KV35 Younger Lady was (Kiya), and went onto describe her son, Tutankhamun, and (quote) "his sons," who were interred with him. Somewhat intrigued, I asked him about this, as it's well established that the 2 foetal remains in KV 62 were female, not male. He paused just a few seconds, and then said, "Not everyone agrees." I asked him who else held these remains were male, and he was silent.

Now, determining the gender of remains, even foetal remains, is something that is certain in archaeology, and in this case, there is no disagreement about the gender of these foetal remains: they are female, and that's been established since they were found in 1922 and throughout at least 3 examinations by trained forensic experts and anatomists.

It's just it didn't fit in with Hawass' interpretation of what he wanted the remains to mean. It's all well and good to speculate, but one cannot change facts just for the sake of one's interpretation. But often, Hawass was known to do this.

So, you can imagine my amusement, when the 2010 DNA results - published under Hawass' name, BTW - stated that these remains were unequivocally female (Hawass, Gad, et al. 2010: 640), acknowledging at least 2 of the 3 previous examinations of the foetal remains in the notes (marked below with an *).

Reference:

* Derry, D. E. 1963 (1932). Appendix I: Report Upon the Two Human Foetuses Discovered in the Tomb of Tut-Ankh-Amen. In H. Carter, Ed., The Tomb of Tut-Ankh-Amen, Discovered by the Late Earl of Carnarvon and Howard Carter, Vol. III: 167-169. New York: Cooper Sqaure Publishers.

Harrison, R. G., R. C. Connolly, et al. 1979. A mummified foetus from the tomb of Tutankhamun. Antiquity 53: 19-21.

Hawass, Z., Y. Z. Gad, et al. 2010. Ancestry and Pathology in King Tutankhamun’s Family. Journal of the American medical Association 303/7: 638-647.

* Leek, F. F. 1972. The Human Remains from the Tomb of Tut'ankhamun. Tut'ankhamun Tomb Series. Oxford: Griffith Institute/University Press.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: