Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saqqara Excavations: Tombs of Maya, Meryneith and Tia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
... You are at the moment after all what I have all together read from you here in this forum, for me not a really serious scientist. ...

What can of course be a very subjective, and also by the ruling form here in a online forum, certain impression. When you're trained Egyptologist, there should already be a few publications? How about a list, preferably with a link to download your work?
Orwell
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lutz.

It has been awhile since I've visited, but I see you are still valiantly trying to get folk to address the facts and sort out the sound theories from the purely fanciful. I am still curious to know why some folk here take your willingness to present facts wherever possible and question any facts produced (whether or not they turn out to be actual facts or not) as some kind of personal insult to them.

I reallly admire your tenacity, without fear or favour, to discover as much as possible about what really happened way back when in Egypt.
I've discovered that finding out what 'facts' actually exist and weighing them and thinking on what they might mean is more fun and challenging than pursuing my other hobby here - trying to form wild theories!
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lutz"]
Lutz wrote:
... You are at the moment after all what I have all together read from you here in this forum, for me not a really serious scientist. ...

How would you know? The gaps in your Egyptological knowledge are pretty big, from what I've gathered. And the "serious scientists" you quote are often from very old publications.

Quote:
What can of course be a very subjective, and also by the ruling form here in a online forum, certain impression.

And whose English is often incomprehensible.

Quote:
When you're trained Egyptologist, there should already be a few publications? How about a list, preferably with a link to download your work?

I don't owe you anything and, what's more, since you're a nothing and a nobody--I couldn't care less what you think.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had in mind that I have perhaps rashly formed an opinion - until that post, with whom you have this thinking completely eliminated. Thank you, and good luck in futher life...
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz, while there is no denying you contribute a lot to this forum, you can also be very obnoxious and insulting, and are obviously driving people away from this forum. Being a non-native speaker has been used to excuse you in the past but it doesn't seem to inhibit your ability to insult people when you want. Play nice please.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Obnoxious and insulting" - I'm sorry but with this commonly held reproach unfortunately I can not do much. And I mean this completely serious and without any sarcasm or behind-thought. I need there already concrete examples from my texts.

How, for example...

"The gaps in your Egyptological knowledge are pretty big"

"And whose English is often incomprehensible. "

" you're a nothing and a nobody"

"your stupid insults."

"you have joined the "dark side"

"So now you've become so desperate as to actually change my writings to suit yourself"

"Is this your way of obfuscating the fact that you stated there was nothing in Maya's tomb to indicate that he was retired?"

Quotes from "Sidney.F" only from the last two pages of this thread.

Neither my private nor my professional fortune are hanging from a membership here in the forum. If you wish it, I will cancel my membership here immediately.
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="karnsculpture"]

Quote:
Then among the longest examples of the 'full/enveloping' style, again to be found in the Sakkara necropolis, are for example the 2 daughters of Paatenemheb on a relief fragment now in Ledien (AMT.1-35/AP.52).

I have reason to believe that Paatenemheb's Memphite tomb dates to the reign of Seti I. During the reign of Ramesses I, of course very short, we see the advent of a sculptor with a distinctive style. He was an undisputed master but had a tendency to be very "busy", crowding a lot of imagery into a single scene. Anneke Bart has some views from Paatenemheb on her site:

http://euler.slu.edu/~bart/egyptianhtml/tombs/Saqqara-Tombs-NK.html

Compare those with the following from the reign of Ramesses I:

The sculptor's manner of depicting faces is recognizable and he also tended to do rounded edges on the hems of garments instead of merely a straight line and he evidently liked to show persons squatting or kneeling. He is also the artisan of the stela of Ney, temp. Seti I, but I could not yet find an image of it online. Well--these are my observations and opinions and I don't see why they should evoke any rancor.
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paatenemheb and wife. Notice their rounded hems, just like on the image of the kneeling Ramesses I.

karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks like the same sculptor or two from the same "school" / master.

Fascinating. Of course from Horemheb to Seti I we are looking at maybe 3 years max. From Horemheb to Ramesses II is as little as 14 years, so it's likely the same artists were working throughout that time.

I keep thinking about the step-brother of Maya who held a high position at the Ramesseum too. There are definitely gaps in our knowledge.

Sometimes I think too much in terms of kings reigns and forget that a child from a noble family, if healthy and lucky, could have lived through several reigns. Then there's the possibility that family members, just as Ramesses II did, complete deceased relatives monuments in later years.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they do not "evoke any rancor", maximum head shaking...
SidneyF wrote:
... Compare those with the following from the reign of Ramesses I:

Because "the following" is not from the reign of Ramses I. It comes from Abydos, from a chapel for Ramses I. - build and dedicated by Sethy I. for his father. And the kneeling king is Sethy I., doing an offering to the Osiris-Symbol. His throne name "Men Maat Ra" inside a cartouche is 2 times clear readable in the inscription above. Because the king is kneeling on a pedestal, I would say it is probably a statue of him. Today the relief is on display in Gallery 129, in the MMA New York (AN 11.155.3b).

Herbert E. Winlock, Bas-Reliefs from the Temple of Rameses I at Abydos, New York, 1921, Plate II.

And for the second image...

is neither stated a source for the photo or something for the represention themselves... Not really helpful or professional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: