Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egypt in the fiction of HP Lovecraft.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Egypt in the fiction of HP Lovecraft. Reply with quote

Egypt features occasionally in the horror writings of HP Lovecraft, including in 'Nyarlahotep' and 'The Haunter in the Dark'. One of the most explicitly Egyptological tales is 'Under the Pyramids', which is presented as an account narrated by no less than Harry Houdini. There is an audiobook version of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUFhQCKsig

An interesting detail is the idea that the head of the Great Sphinx was recarved by Chephren from its original form, in fact this is a key component of the story. The implication is that the rest of the Sphinx is much older. Since the story was written in 1924 this is interesting in and of itself, given how similar notions have become quite popular in current alternative history speculation. Was this an original idea to Lovecraft, or were there really unpleasant tales of the Sphinx before Chephren, and its elder features, which the pharaoh supposedly replaced with his own so that men might look at the colossus without fear...
virta
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of Lovecraft's books, but I can't remember if I have read that short story. I had look at the books and found out that the story – originally titled ”Imprisoned with the Pharoahs” – is included in the short story collection ”The Doom That Came to Sarnath. It contains 30 pages. Now I will read it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: