Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Petrie Museum.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: The Petrie Museum. Reply with quote

Visited the Petrie Museum today, such a wonderful museum, really enjoyed that museum, as every other Smile. Though some 80,000 Ancient Egyptian artifacts held in a two room apartment museum Shocked Very clustered together, still very enjoyable in any case (apparently some people do not enjoy the museum because they become over whelmed with the amount of objects in such a small space Rolling Eyes Laughing )

Fragments/artifacts from Amarna were held in their, including a miniature head of Queen Tiye, very adorable and loads of artifacts from pre-historic Egypt, which was extremely fascinating.

Apparently a group from the British Museum, have gone to Egypt to excavate the sight of Amarna furthermore! That should be good.
nicky_too
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Petrie Museum. Reply with quote

Nefer-Ankhe wrote:
Apparently a group from the British Museum, have gone to Egypt to excavate the sight of Amarna furthermore! That should be good.

It's actually Amara. You can follow their work on their blog.

I've been to the Petrie Museum as well and was one of those who felt a little overwhelmed. I think that was mainly due to the fact I didn't really know what I was looking at. Now I'm studying Egyptology I intend to go back some day and I'm sure I'll enjoy it a whole lot more! Very Happy
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Petrie Museum. Reply with quote

nicky_too wrote:
Nefer-Ankhe wrote:

It's actually Amara. You can follow their work on their blog.

I've been to the Petrie Museum as well and was one of those who felt a little overwhelmed. I think that was mainly due to the fact I didn't really know what I was looking at. Now I'm studying Egyptology I intend to go back some day and I'm sure I'll enjoy it a whole lot more! Very Happy

Oh the women must have got it wrong, Amara, I see, Thank you.

I also felt overwhelmed, though not to the point where I did not enjoy or was displeased with the museum Smile

I hope you do enjoy it a lot more, it has a lot to offer, it's overall a nice little compacted museum aha
nicky_too
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it! Very much so. It's very obvious this is a historically important collection. I was simply unable to interpret it correctly due to the fact I just didn't know anything about it. Laughing
Nefer-Ankhe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicky_too wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it! Very much so. It's very obvious this is a historically important collection. I was simply unable to interpret it correctly due to the fact I just didn't know anything about it. Laughing

aha yes I know you would have enjoyed it, it's hard not too Wink
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Petrie museum is a very nice place to visit. The wooden display cases have a period charm all of their own, complete with labels done on a typewriter. I preferred this kind of thing to the ultra-modern display I recently encountered visiting the refurbished Ashmolean in Oxford. (I have dim memories of a childhood visit where the displays were in more homely cases.) I like the evocative, old-fashioned, cabine to curiosities atmosphere the Petrie museum has, and hope no misguided curators ever try to modernise it.

Speaking of curious cabinets, you might encounter the embalmed body of the philosopher Jeremy Bentham, in a custom-made cabinet, in a corridor in University College London, which you pass through on your way to the Petrie Museum. I'd heard this was how Bentham wished to be remembered, but wasn't aware where abouts of if he was still on display, so this was a fortuitous encounter...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: