Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hello :) Reply with quote

Hello, I've been following this board since the Feb 2010 Jama article "Ancestry and Pathology in King Tutankhamun's Family," and generally found this to be the best place on the internet to read English language discussions on all things Ancient Egyptian. Not sure why I have decided to de-lurk, but there it is. In any case, I've very much enjoyed the quality of the discussions and keep up the good work!

Though I am an artist by trade a particular interest of mine is ancient art (obviously), flora and clothing. I've attempted to recreate a number of Ancient Egyptian garments over the years with good success and have a number of ideas about how many of their artists' stylizations were actually realized in cloth. I'm very interested in any and all links to images of original garments, btw. The stories of individual artists and craftsmen, what little we have of them, are endlessly fascinating to me as well, from Imhotep and Akhenaton to the artisans of Dier el Madina.

Like many people here I have been interested in Ancient Egypt since I was a small child. I've read more published books on the subject over the years than I can remember the names of and I've really enjoyed the many links people here have posted to peer reviewed journals on the subject. Most recently I've just finished "The Rise And Fall Of Ancient Egypt," by Toby Wilkinson, which I found to be engagingly written even if I don't completely agree with his view of the pharaohs as oppressive despots (though no doubt many were).

So, "Hello!" and thank you to the admins and owner for keeping up this forum.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Egyptian Dreams, Ankhetmaatre. I hope you enjoy the forum.

So it was you lurking in the background, eh? I felt like someone was watching me. Twisted Evil

If you like ancient Egypt, you're on solid ground here. Dive right in and join the discussions.

kmt_sesh

Visit my blog!
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, kmt_sesh! Yeah, I'm an old school lurker.

I like your blog. Wink
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hello :) Reply with quote

Ankhetmaatre wrote:
... Though I am an artist by trade a particular interest of mine is ancient art (obviously), flora and clothing. I've attempted to recreate a number of Ancient Egyptian garments over the years with good success and have a number of ideas about how many of their artists' stylizations were actually realized in cloth. I'm very interested in any and all links to images of original garments, btw. ...

Do you know this page : Tutankhamuns Wardrobe ?

Greetings, Lutz.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read 'The rise and fall of Ancient Egypt" By Toby Wilkson.

I enjoyed the book thoroughly =) !

Welcome to Egyptian Dreams.
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link, Lutz! I'm aware of that exhibition though I've never been fortunate enough to see it. I would love to be able to get my hands on a book accompanying the exhibit. I have done some textile conservation for various museums and I find that having the opportunity to study what people wore can really tell you something about how they lived.

Thanks for the Welcome Egyptian Rose! I agree with you that Mr Wilkinson is a good writer. It's no small task to condense that much history into an interesting read. It was certainly more interesting than "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". That one was a true slog.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhetmaatre wrote:
Thank you for the link, Lutz! I'm aware of that exhibition though I've never been fortunate enough to see it. I would love to be able to get my hands on a book accompanying the exhibit. ...

Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood : Tutankhamun's wardrobe - Garments from the tomb of Tutankhamun. - [Catalog of the exhibition : Tutankhamun's Wardrobe, Textile Museum, Borås, im October 1999]. - Rotterdam : Barjesteh van Waalwijk van Doorn, 1999. - ISBN : 90-5613-042-0 ; 978-90-5613-042-8. - 114 p.

In this connection also of interest ...

Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood : Tutankhamun - Textiles and clothing in the Egyptian Museum, Cairo. - Rotterdam : Barjesteh van Waalwijk van Doorn, 1997. - ISBN : 90-5613-028-5. - 23 p. This little book can be ordered online at TRC Leiden for 10,- € + shipping.

Greetings, Lutz.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the book, Lutz. My Google-fu has landed me at the blog of someone who photographed the exhibit. Very interesting.
jake26
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhetmaatre welcome to the forum.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jake26. Smile
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Book reviews and balance Reply with quote

Everyone has their own quirks and tastes when it comes books and writing styles but I must admit that the glowing reviews on the forum for Toby Wilkinson's book "The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt" leaves me somewhat puzzled. The book is a litany of execration directed towards the Egyptian monarchy from beginning till end and lacks any pretence at balance when dealing with what was the backbone of this civilization. Anything expression of love that could be drawn ancient sources by Egyptians is missed out and the worst interpretation possible is usually applied to anything the Kings do.

I was reading this morning vol one of Breasted records and beautiful hymn of praise and love directed towards the King and a fathers warning to his young that those who attack the king cannot expect to inherit the West. It read as if it came from the heart. Only one book have I ever thrown out which dealt with Ancient Egypt and that was Norman Mailers "Ancient Evenings" which could have been written by Set himself. I wouldn't have given that book or recommended it to a young person anymore that I would have given them a demon

So what? Well I maybe stupid but when I see posters adopting Ancient Egyptian names I take it there is some kind of love towards them? Wilkinson's book reviews were glowing and when that happens I would tend to think the fault must be with myself so I would be grateful if anyone could explain where I err.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand the intent of your comments. I read the book and found the writing style (active voice, ect) to be good considering how mind numbingly boring most overviews are. The research was detailed and interesting. And as I said above I didn't necessarily agree with the tone. Is that what you call glowing?

Since I have only the vaguest notion of why you may dislike the book I can't begin to tell you where you might be in error, if indeed you are.
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhetmaatre wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the intent of your comments. I read the book and found the writing style (active voice, ect) to be good considering how mind numbingly boring most overviews are. The research was detailed and interesting. And as I said above I didn't necessarily agree with the tone. Is that what you call glowing?

Since I have only the vaguest notion of why you may dislike the book I can't begin to tell you where you might be in error, if indeed you are.

My comments weren't directed to you in particular - our library upgraded yesterday to a new version of windows/browser I am not familiar with. I had a few tabs open with threads related to the book in question and for whatever reason my post ended up in this thread (twice) rather than were it was intended and I couldn't find any edit or delete button.

My dislike of the book is covered in a review I made on Amazon. I have posted the link below. The review header is titled "Unbalanced, dubious scholarship" and I give some citations to support my description of the book. I would be interested in your comments, though maybe this is the wrong thread for it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rise-Fall-Ancient-Egypt/product-reviews/0553384902/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading your review and I think you have some valid points. Passing judgment on an ancient culture using a modern yard stick isn't especially useful in a scholarly work. This book is popular literature, however, and not a text book. It may simply be that his editor advised him to give it a current tone with an eye to sales. I've seen this happen before. And, perhaps he was not too subtly breaking ranks with the lock step Dr Hawass had been enforcing on the AE historical narrative.

You may want to post a review of the book on the "Books" topic. I'm sure you'll get some interesting responses.
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhetmaatre wrote:
It may simply be that his editor advised him to give it a current tone with an eye to sales. I've seen this happen before. And, perhaps he was not too subtly breaking ranks with the lock step Dr Hawass had been enforcing on the AE historical narrative.

You may want to post a review of the book on the "Books" topic. I'm sure you'll get some interesting responses.

Thanks for your comments. I prefer to think that it was poor scholarship and bad judgment at work rather than the man selling out an ancient culture for mere money, but who knows? Will take up your suggestion about posting review.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: