Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Images of Mafdet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Images of Mafdet Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I could find an image of the goddess Mafdet?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic and for sure the oldest is the depiction as a feline running up the side of an executioner's staff: http://www.baslerforumaegyptologie.ch/mat03Mafdet2.gif. But also this is possible: http://www.baslerforumaegyptologie.ch/mat02Mafdet1.gif.

In the tomb of Tutankhamen, there are two figures of the king on the Panther-Cat / Leopard: Statuette of the King upon a Leopard (Cairo, JE 60714 & 60715). Remnants of such figures we know also from other tombs in the Valley of the Kings. An illustration is in KV 15 - Sety II. These panther / leopard may well also be a Mafdet.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can read German ...

Wolfhart Westendorf : Die Pantherkatze Mafdet. - In: Zeitschriften der Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft - ZDMG 118. - 1968. - pp. 248 - 256.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgotten ... The abstract for the article by Westendorf :
Quote:
Study about the cat-goddess Mafdet, probably a hunting-leopard or cheetah, called "the runner" (m-i/Afd), which seems to have been a central figure in the early religion. She was mistress of the king's life, but also of his death, and related to the Sun-god and the Horus-eye. Though expelled from her central position at the beginning of the Ist Dynasty her memory remained vivid in various religious conceptions.

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a modern rendering of the glyph at my website: Mafdet.

Of course, my avatar is also Mafdet, direct from the glyphs. Wink

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine,

as usual, the obvious one comes at last... Embarassed

But I suspect, Daughter Of S. is looking for a representation of the goddess in more anthropomorphic form (with lion / feline head?) ? I could not find, although one might expect a personification at least in the New Kingdom? The goddess is in the Books of the Netherworld at that time also Mistress of the Hall of Justice / Execution Site? Maybe somewhere here?

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really bad with representations of this goddess... In "Porter & Moss" I found only two entrys (V. Upper Egypt: Sites. - 1962. - Umm el-Qaab: p. 84 & 85) of objects, today in the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (E.6865 & 6866). She should also appear on magic knives from the Middle Kingdom (?). However, whether in image or in writing I do not know as accurate...

Greetings, Lutz.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

In the tomb of Tutankhamen, there are two figures of the king on the Panther-Cat / Leopard: Statuette of the King upon a Leopard (Cairo, JE 60714 & 60715). Remnants of such figures we know also from other tombs in the Valley of the Kings. An illustration is in KV 15 - Sety II. These panther / leopard may well also be a Mafdet.

Greetings, Lutz.

The Hurrian god Sharruma also stands on the back of a panther. Couldn't we also consider in this case a possible religious trade with the New Kingdom pharaohs' allies?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
The Hurrian god Sharruma also stands on the back of a panther. Couldn't we also consider in this case a possible religious trade with the New Kingdom pharaohs' allies?

Without the slightest examples from texts about the religious / mythological background of this depictions and possible similarities in this direction, this is hardly admissible? The panther-cat is revered in many cultures. Also very well known are the examples from Central and North America...

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
... Central and North America...

Sorry, I mean South America of course. How far the North American natives, for example, the cougar revered is not known to me. Not exactly my specialty...

Greetings, Lutz.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it is. But what I mean is the iconographic register. Specifically regarding to the depiction of a human figure standing on the back of a panther, which is present both in New Kingdom Egypt and Hurrian-Hittite sacred images of the same period, but never before in Egypt. It can be corroborated by the adoption of Syrian-Canaanite cults in Egypt, like Qetesh/Reshef cult in the 18th Dynasty and Anath/Baal cult in the 19th Dynasty, as well as the syncretic references in the Amarna letters. I think also that the New Kingdom reference to the "Seven Hathors" would be originated from the Seven Gulses (Hurrian-Hittite goddesses of fate). We can't forget that Hurrian princess and princesses moved to Egypt bringing not only merchants and servants, but also their religious conceptions.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said I do not think the slightest of such comparisons. They are simply not relevant. The significance of these representations is mythological / religiously. And if you have no similaritys in this it makes no sense to construct a connection / context.

In ancient Egypt the representation of the king on the panther-cat is known to me only from the funerary area. If it is Mafdet then the idea exists for sure long before the New Kingdom. Your relief shows various Hurrian gods standing on mythical creatures (in some way connected with them ??). I see no reason to think this picture was transfered from one nation to another, not in this or in the other way.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
... But I suspect, Daughter Of S. is looking for a representation of the goddess in more anthropomorphic form (with lion / feline head?) ? I could not find, although one might expect a personification at least in the New Kingdom? The goddess is in the Books of the Netherworld at that time also Mistress of the Hall of Justice / Execution Site? Maybe somewhere here? ...

No, also here she appears in the same way as a feline :

(Berlin, Pap. 3148. Mythological papyrus with dead court. 21st Dynasty. From Schott : Das blutrünstige Keltergerät. - In: ZÄS 74. - 1938. - pp. 88 - 93, Plate VI a)

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: