Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thutmose's Cat Sarcophagus
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice contribution, neseret. Thanks for that. Wink

It's a good reminder that the phrase mAa xrw does not, of course, refer only to the dead. I'm pretty certain that on the kings list in the Abydos temple of Seti I, the young boy Ramesses is given the epithet mAa xrw.

Very nice post, indeed. And a good reminder of the subtleties of this phrase.

Visit my blog!
sqd-pt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ta-miaut sarcophagus is traveling with the "Tutankhamun: the Golden King and the Great Pharaohs" exhibit, which is currently in Houston, Texas until April 15, 2012. It is worth the price of admission, along, in my opinion.

Anyone know the story about the sarcophagus? Where was it found? What was in it? Were ta-kiaut's organs mummified separately in her own canopic jars?
sqd-pt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...oops "alone", not "along"...and "ta-miaut"... Idea
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqd-pt wrote:
Anyone know the story about the sarcophagus? Where was it found? What was in it? Were ta-kiaut's organs mummified separately in her own canopic jars?

See:

The Coffin of The She-Cat of Crown Prince Thutmose ("Thutmose V"), Cairo CG 5003/JE 30172

This should answer many of your questions.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

sqd-pt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info seems very limited - it doesn't even say if the sarcophagus was found in a tomb or not.

I note that the transcriptions on that site gives the wrong characters for the "words spoken by" glyphs (Dd-mdw) - showing a "ti" for the second glyph instead of a "md"
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAWWWW! She is just so darn cute sitting there in front of her very own offering table. Smile

Prince Thutmose must have really loved that cat! The Osiris Ta-Miaut indeed. My cat Squeaky just checked it out and totally approves.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Lady Cat was by chance strangled in order to follow her Royal best friend into the realm of eternity...
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
I wonder if Lady Cat was by chance strangled in order to follow her Royal best friend into the realm of eternity...

That's entirely possible of course. Feline votive offerings were purposely killed-- mummified animals that were probably pets have been found in and around tombs but does anyone know whether these show any signs of foul play? Would someone, like say Prince Thutmose, hold onto their naturally deceased cat (or dog or monkey) with the idea of having it buried with them when the time came?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:

I would doubt it as the Crown Prince is not referred to as /mAa xrw/ or "Osiris" in the inscription, which he would if he had died.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Robson wrote:

I would doubt it as the Crown Prince is not referred to as /mAa xrw/ or "Osiris" in the inscription, which he would if he had died.

Well that's a relief. Actually this strikes me as a personal gesture by an owner when a beloved pet passed on rather than his relatives and servants deciding to send the cat along with the prince at the time of his burial.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
neseret wrote:
Robson wrote:

Well that's a relief. Actually this strikes me as a personal gesture by an owner when a beloved pet passed on rather than his relatives and servants deciding to send the cat along with the prince at the time of his burial.

Finding mummified royal pets is very rare to begin with. I always think of KV50 in the Valley of the Kings, which was a single-chamber tomb in which was found unwrapped animals, including an amazingly preserved dog and baboon. If I remember correctly, the theory is that these were perhaps pets of Amunhotep II. In any case I don't think these animals evidenced any trauma, so they may have lived out their lives and were interred subsequently to the burial of their royal master.

It's the votive animal mummies which often evidence trauma, such as broken cervical vertebrae. Many if not most of the mummified cats that have been Xrayed appear to have been no older than around eight months of age, so these were indeed killed just to be mummified. It was an act of piety on the part of the person who paid for such an offering, however, so I doubt the average ancient Egyptian looked at such things with the kind of sentiment we would.

Visit my blog!
FatBoy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info here. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: