Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neferneferuaten and Neferure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Neferneferuaten and Neferure Reply with quote

I know it is dangerous to put too much emphasis on size of children in depictions, but is there any speculation that maybe Neferneferuaten and Neferure were twins?

This scene shows two of the princesses on a pillow and they do look identical in size. Other images of Meritaten, Meketaten and Ankhesenpaaten for instance show them in decreasing size.

This is a drawing showing the different sizes, but the scale is correct:

karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've speculated this myself and it could explain why so many daughters came along so quickly.
However it is possible they were just born a year or so apart, especially if by using nursemaids Nefertiti was able to conceive fairly quickly after giving birth (if not breast feeding several times a day women can ovulate sooner than if they do).
I looked at the Durbar scene and unfortunately all of the princesses are shown there as approximately the same height, and potentially as young teens/pre-teens, by which time they may have naturally been approaching their full height, so it's not possible to ascertain their different ages.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick search online but could not find literature dealing with this.

It may just be too speculative. It would be hard to find evidence, unless bodies were found of course. And even then, only identical twins would be identifiable.

I had looked at the Durbar scene as well. There no real differentiation is visible as you mentioned.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, the recorded evidence indicates they were not twins (this has been speculated before), but their birthdates are actually separated by a number of years.

Neferneferuaten Tasherit: Year 6 (1344 BC)
Neferneferure: Year 9 (1341 BC).
Setepenre: Year 11 (1339 BC).

As I recall, Neferneferure's birth is actually recorded as Year 9 somewhere, while Neferneferuaten-Tasherit would have had to been born after Year 6 or during Year 7 (according to a number of Egyptologists), as Nefertiti did not assume her epithetical name of "Neferneferuaten" until Year 6 (thus creating the need for a -Tasherit addendum to her daughter's name).

See:

Dodson, A. and D. Hilton. 2004. The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt. London: Thames and Hudson.

Smith, R. W. and D. B. Redford. 1976. The Akhenaten Temple Project. Vol. I: Initial Discoveries. Warminster: Aris and Phillips.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks neseret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: