Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boundary stela - inlay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Boundary stela - inlay? Reply with quote

I had shared this image of a part of a boundary stela which is now in the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas-City. It has an interesting feature in that the head of the princess behind Nefertiti has a very clean hole where her head would have been.

I thought it may have been the result of cutting up the stela and selling off the small head to another museum and hence making more money. But someone mentioned that it may have been the case that even in antiquity damage may have been repaired and that this is actually an ancient feature.

Thought you might find that interesting ..

And just for fun, I will include a statue of an Amarna princess from the same display case. I think she may be holding something like a pomegranate

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Boundary stela - inlay? Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... I thought it may have been the result of cutting up the stela and selling off the small head to another museum and hence making more money. But someone mentioned that it may have been the case that even in antiquity damage may have been repaired and that this is actually an ancient feature. ...

Extremely unlikely. I've seen all the stela still preserved in situ at Amarna and none of them shows any notes on ancient restorations. Only destructions of the representations and names of the king and his family are also today still recognizable. And these were certainly not restored (also by whom?). The type of destruction on the foto is typical for modern art theft, frequently to observe on monuments and in tombs.

anneke wrote:
... And just for fun, I will include a statue of an Amarna princess from the same display case. I think she may be holding something like a pomegranate

This statue is similar to the object from the Mallawi Museum, which was lost during the sack:

" Mallawi Museum List of Stolen Objects " & " Broken, but back ... Akhenaten's Daughter returned ".

The princess holds a pomegranate. This fruit symbolizes good fortune and luxury. It is known in Egypt since the 18th Dynasty (for the garden of Ineni, occupied under Thutmose I-III, in TT 81 five trees are mentioned but not shown). The previously earliest known depiction we find in the so called "Botanical Garden" of Thutmosis III in the Temple of Amun in Karnak.

Greetings, Lutz.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz. I had never heard of ancient restorations either.
It is too bad the head of the Princess is cut out like that.

Interesting to see the other statue of the Princess that is so similar.
There is a pillar at the back. Any idea where this would have been displayed in Pharaonic times? It is rather small. Maybe part of a person shrine? (I have no idea, just guessing).
It did not look to me like it was attached to a larger statue group. I took some pictures from the left and right side and it seems free standing.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... Interesting to see the other statue of the Princess that is so similar. There is a pillar at the back. Any idea where this would have been displayed in Pharaonic times? It is rather small. Maybe part of a person shrine? (I have no idea, just guessing).
It did not look to me like it was attached to a larger statue group. I took some pictures from the left and right side and it seems free standing.

I would also say that they once were part of these, from Amarna well known, shrines in private houses. There are others in museums around the world, also two or three here in Berlin, coming in question for this. However, I do not know if ever one was found in situ. We know these little figures from king, queen and members of the wider family also from the reign of Amenhotep III, from the palace facility in Gurob for example. Also there was a kind of family / ancestors cult chappel suspected.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: