Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahmose-Meryet-Amon (or Ahmose-Meritamon)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquarius_Isis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Ahmose-Meryet-Amon (or Ahmose-Meritamon) Reply with quote

[/b]I came across this mummy a few years ago, but I didn't really do much research until recently. I can't seem to find much abut her other than she was a Queen in the 18th Dynasty and was married to Amenhoptep I.

Would any of you have more information about her? I.e. any statues or Hieroglyphs?

Here is her mummy
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eDkt-PiRqwQ/TavyoE2hKiI/AAAAAAAAAA4/LRyTND__1NE/s1600/mummies-heart-disease.jpg

A article written about her in the Science Daily
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110517121824.htm

This is my first thread so please forgive me if it's all over the place. Smile
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahmose-Meryet-Amon (or Ahmose-Meritamon) Reply with quote

Aquarius_Isis wrote:
[/b]I came across this mummy a few years ago, but I didn't really do much research until recently. I can't seem to find much abut her other than she was a Queen in the 18th Dynasty and was married to Amenhoptep I.

Would any of you have more information about her? I.e. any statues or Hieroglyphs?

Here is her mummy
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eDkt-PiRqwQ/TavyoE2hKiI/AAAAAAAAAA4/LRyTND__1NE/s1600/mummies-heart-disease.jpg

That is not the lady's mummy but that of a male named Maihirpri. This is a link to info about Queen Meryetamun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmose-Meritamun

A article written about her in the Science Daily
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110517121824.htm

This is my first thread so please forgive me if it's all over the place. Smile

There is heart disease in royal mummies of various ages, the youngest probably being Thutmose II.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Theban Royal Mummy Project

Quote:
"Ahmose-Meryetamen (c. 1551-1524 B.C.)
Early 18'th Dynasty
Provenance: DB 320
Discovery Date: 1860? (official discovery 1881)
Current Location: Cairo Museum CG61052

Details: The literature available concerning this mummy is somewhat difficult to interpret because it seems to incorporate a confusion of the mummy found in DB 320 (seen at left) with another similarly named female mummy found years later (in 1929) by Herbert Winlock in DB 358. The mummy in the photo at left was labeled with a Type A Linen Docket (see Linen Docket Translations below) which clearly identifies her as "Meryetamun." Reeves states that the location of this mummy's original place of burial remains unknown (DRN, 252.) Yet Reeves, in his list of Type B Dockets (DRN, 236 [#'s 24a-b-c, 25]) also includes linen dockets apparently found on the wrappings of another "Meryetamun," the one found in DB 358 by Winlock. Reeves further states of the DB 320 mummy that X-rays of the pelvic area revealed the presence of beads, apparently remnants of some original funerary jewelry left by thieves (DRN, 206, #4.) He amends his brief description of this mummy by giving a reference to Harris and Weeks (XRP, 130) where a description of a mummy named "Ahmose-Meryet-Amon" is given which also describes the beads, and which further notes that "Ahmose-Meryet-Amon" had suffered in life from arthritis and scoliosis. Ikram and Dodson (in MiAE, 322) also list a "Meryetamun," and describe her as having suffered from arthritis and scoliosis. However, they confidently assert that this particular mummy had been found in TT 358 (DB 358). Yet, from the description they give, this is undoubtedly the mummy which Reeves attributes to DB 320. (It is interesting that Ikram and Dodson do not give a museum number for the mummy in their description, which would help clarify matters.) Apparently, some confusion exists on the part(s) of one or more of these researchers concerning the identity of the mummy they are describing. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Google search on "The Tomb of Meryetamun AND HE Winlock" and a couple of illustrated PDF files will come up that are quite informative.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little info on Maiherpri.

He was described as "a child of the kap" or royal school. He was titled "Fan bearer"

So he was pretty close to the king, thus his burial in KV36, one of the more intact tombs in the valley.

He must have been in *very* good odour with the king to have merited burial in the royal necropolis.

Does anyone know in which reign he lived?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catharine H. Roehrig : The Tomb of Maiherperi in the Valley of the Kings. - In: Hatshepsut - From Queen to Pharaoh. - New York / London : MMA / Yale University Press, 2005. - pp. 70 - 72, dates KV 36 to the reign of Thutmose III, before he began to "revise" Hatshepsuts monuments around his 42nd year.

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz.

I did read that Maiherpri had been buried with linens bearing the cartouche of Hatshepsut, so I assumed that he lived during her reign.

Who ever he was he must have been an exceptionally important person and it's strange we do not know more about him.
SidneyF
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
Thanks Lutz.

I did read that Maiherpri had been buried with linens bearing the cartouche of Hatshepsut, so I assumed that he lived during her reign.

Who ever he was he must have been an exceptionally important person and it's strange we do not know more about him.

The Wiki page contains some good guesses as to who Maihirpri might have been. I have seen before that he died in the reign of Thutmose IV [old linen from the reign of Hatshepsut?]. It shows how his name was written in hieroglyphs and it means "lion on the battlefield".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiherpri
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidneyF wrote:
... I have seen before that he died in the reign of Thutmose IV ...

See also the aforementioned article by Catharine Roehrig and the contribution by Christine Lilyquist : Egypt and the Near East (pp. 60 - 67) in the same book, on p. 62 ff.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: