Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fox's Hieroglyph TV drama - cancelled
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tripnfelt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Fox's Hieroglyph TV drama - cancelled Reply with quote

Probably for the best >___< Sorry to those who looked forward to it.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/hieroglyph-fox-cancels-tv-series-33016/

The network giveth and the network taketh away. Fox has cancelled their new Ancient Egypt dramatic series Hieroglyph. The project was given a straight-to-series order last October by the then-programming chief Kevin Reilly.

Hieroglyph had been scheduled for mid-season. One episode has been shot and several others have been scripted. The show stars John Rhys-Davies, Reece Ritchie, Kelsey Chow, Condola Rashad, Caroline Ford, and Antony Bunsee. EW reports that the writers were given the news of the cancellation earlier today.

- TVSeriesFinale.com
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the trailer on the site linked I have to say that we are not missing anything. Seems a nightmare.....

All these thousands of years of AE history to chose from to make a TV show or movie, and we get presented with mostly rubbish. I still think the only reasonably good movie about AE was Pharaoh from Jerzy Kawalerowicz. Been a long time waiting for something better since 1966...
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... I only sorta wanted to see that (odd curiousity.)

I just want a series set in the New Kingdom without any magic or biblical references, is that too much to ask?
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:

I just want a series set in the New Kingdom without any magic or biblical references, is that too much to ask?

A series set in the Middle or Old Kingdom would be a better choice. To be honest the New Kingdom strikes me as too strident and overbearing, oh and also a bit too familiar.

But to answer you last question, no its not but, a snowflake has a better chance in hell than a decent AE film
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with any series based on the well-known stories is that for a following to develop any series would need characters that could be followed through a number of episodes or ideally seasons.

Anything based on the Old Kingdom would need to go into the realms of pure fiction to fill in the gaps we have. From the Middle Kingdom the Story of Sinhue is great material (and has been adapted already in "The Egyptian" of course).

I really think the New Kingdom offers the best material, especially the lives of Hatchepsut and Tuthmosis III because they offer romance, drama (military campaigns, political intrigue, personal struggles), spectacle (journey to Punt, building projects, 3 or possibly 4 coronations).
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the New Kingdom because it is more well known. There could be a thirteenth episode series, or even a mini-series. Most of the interesting things from the Old Kingdom would involve pyramid building.

When was the Sinhue movie made? I need to see that.
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:

1954; and this movie is called "The Egyptian."

Summary: IMDB(Internet Movie Database)

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritamon wrote:
I chose the New Kingdom because it is more well known. There could be a thirteenth episode series, or even a mini-series. Most of the interesting things from the Old Kingdom would involve pyramid building.

Watch this movie and weep, particulary at the depiction of Akhenaten as some proto Jesus. I do wonder if some of these old Hollywood movies about AE are partly responsible for the fantasists of today. Though after saying all this, it is worth seeing as a curiosity, and they did attempt a serious film, not some "B" movie total fantasy.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikon wrote:
Meritamon wrote:

Watch this movie and weep, particulary at the depiction of Akhenaten as some proto Jesus. I do wonder if some of these old Hollywood movies about AE are partly responsible for the fantasists of today. Though after saying all this, it is worth seeing as a curiosity, and they did attempt a serious film, not some "B" movie total fantasy.

Seriously? That's exactly the sort of movie I didn't want. And if Sinhue was in the Middle Kingdom... why does that movie have Akhenaten?
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Seriously, unfortunately. This link to it's wiki will explain why. In it's day it was seen as a good film, as was "Land of the Pharaohs", but "The Egyptian" lacks the spectacle of that film, or "The Ten Commandments", and it can't even really be enjoyed as some ironic retro movie as it attempts to be way too serious. The second link is to the full film on Youtube, if you want to dip into it. Portugese subtitles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Egyptian_%28film%29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGrqYm4GVs
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say the description of that movie sounded like 'The Ten Commandments", but I guess that came later. At least, the version I know came a few years later.

Watching this now. Why did they open with 'this is a story set in the past' twice? I still have the 500 page version of the novel setting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that maybe 20th Century Fox released this movie as a sort of spolier to Paramount's "Ten Commandments". There are some general similarities beyond the Hollywood disaster of what they think AE should wear and the terrible dialogue in all those types of movie . Sinuhe being found in rushes, a rivalry, an exile. All a lack of imagination. As you can see it's a long movie, but I do reccomend fast forwarding to 20 minutes in. Here we see Horemheb on a lion hunt when he meets Akhenaten for the first time, and does not know who he is. All unbelievable nonsense, but worth a laugh. You can see the director tried hard to be serious, but......
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, it is also worth skipping to the end at 2 hours 6 minutes for Akhenaten's death scene monologue, aimed clearly at a 20th century Judeo-Christian audience. Then the "madman" dies and Horemheb becomes Pharaoh. Poor Tutankhamun written out of history again.......
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's things like that make me take a more 'meh' attitude towards Akhenaten in the first place. Um... why are there guys who look like they're in Roman type clothes chasing a lion in a chariot? Please tell me that doesn't happen in the novel.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think laziness and lack of imagination is why they mostly wear "Roman" clothes. Perhaps because they made so many Greek/Roman movies back in the days it was easier to simply use the same wardrobe, though in this movie I think they made some effort with Akhenaten and Nefertiti. I never read the book, though it seems to be highly regarded. I also believe that a movie of the book was made by Egyptians in Egypt, possibly in the 1930s, and this is supposed to be good, though I have never seen even a short clip of this film.

I can't proove it, but I blame that Hollywood movie for all the new "Atenism" and related nonsense that emerged in later years. Akhenaten, the first hippie....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: