Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Queen Karimala
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psusennes III wrote:
anneke wrote:
That's what I was thinking too.

Isn't it amazing how brilliant minds often come up with the same ideas? :new-alien: Razz

Or as one of my friends used to say:
Brilliant minds think alike, and by amazing coincidence so do ours! Laughing

Still playing on the computer at 2 in the morning I notice? Cool

Back to the temple: Any idea why Thutmosis (or Hatshepsut) decided to dedicate a temple to Sesostris III? I had no idea he was revered all the way up to that time. Any special association with Nubia on the part of Sesostris?
Isn't there some speculation actually that Amenemhet I, the founder of that dynasty may have been of Nubian descent?

I'm trying to remember when the 18th dynasty became defacto rulers in Nubia, or at least when they installed their Viceroys there to keep track of gold and other tributes.

On another track: Wasn't it a bit more common for Nubian queens to rule in their own right? I know it didn't quite happen during the 25th dynasty, but we did see a renaissance of the God's Wife of Amun position, and later on some Queens did rule in their own right.
So it is maybe somewhat less surprising to see Nubian Queens strike out on their own?
Serenity78
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... I sure am getting an education reading those posts! Wink I really need to check in here more often. How's it going Anneke? faroah
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic.
But I was surfing the web on this Queen Karimala.
A lot of the websites state that she was probably a Nubian ruler (in egypt of course) during the 21st or 22nd dynasty. Some sites also state that she was a political and military leader who took control of at least Lower Nubia in the wake of failed military activities on the part of a male predecessor. There is actually a book about her called 'The Inscription of Queen Katimala at Semna' by John Coleman Darnell
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some say she is the daughter/wife of Osorkon II? It's interesting that Osorkon I mother's name was Karomama? karamama Karimala? Laughing just a thought.
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartie wrote:
There is actually a book about her called 'The Inscription of Queen Katimala at Semna' by John Coleman Darnell

I actually have that book. It's interesting to read.

It seems hard to place her exactly. She does seem to have come after her husband ran into trouble. There is mention in the inscription of her returning to the god Amun.

I will have to look at the book again, but I think they place her sometime during the later third intermediate period and see her as coming a while before the great kingdom of Napata.

JCD seems to think that the name Karimala or Kadimala is more likely a Kushite name and not a Libyan name if I remember correctly.
Serenity78
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! I am so glad that I finally got an e-mail from this site!
I had lost it when the hard drive crashed on my last computer and couldn't find it again on this one!
Thanks!! faroah

Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Semna texts Reply with quote

TEXT IN FRONT AND ABOVE ISIS (in four columns, reading from left to right)

(1) (Thus) says Isis, the mother of the God, the Eye
(2) of Re, the Mistress of all the gods. I have put
(3) at rest the heart of the king's wife and king's daughter Ka
(4) [dimalo, justified]

FACING ISIS: QUEEN KADIMALO.

TEXT IN FRONT AND ABOVE KADIMALO (in two columns, reading from right to left):

(1) The great king's wife and king's daughter Kadi
(2) malo justified: "Pray, receive these lotusses.

TEXT IN FRONT OF KADIMALO (one column, reading from right to left):

The great king's wife of the King-of-upper-and-lower-Egypt and king's daughter.

MAIN TEXT

(1) Regnal year 14, (month) 2 of winter, day 9 of the month. His Majesty said to the great king's wife (and) king's daughter, Kadimalo, justified. We are raised up although we are not serving among the servants of Amun, there being
(2) te enemy, and ----- to cause a good thing (in) the year which has happened to us. Amun causes it to happen to them, there not ----- causing to happen for us, there being a chief ----- him ----- in his possession, Amun does -----
(3) the lapwing people ----- me ----- performing for Amun, the one who acts, I have not called to mind the event that happened to me in this year, when Amun nodded his approval (in an oracle) for (my) accession etc.

Queen Kadimalo and the anonymous king of the text cannot be identified with any historical person attested in independed sources, the style and certain details of the text indicate a Third Intermediate Period date; and the Meroitic name of the queen (kdi-mlo) = "good lady" associates the document with the Middle Nile Region.

She and the figure behing her wears the steloform ear pendant of a type known from representations of Kushite queens of a post-Twenty-Fifth Dynasty period.
Aktisanes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reply still ignored till this day Sad

Jean
Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aktisanes wrote:
This reply still ignored till this day Sad

Jean

Not sure what kind of reply you are expecting Qore Aktisanes. Confused Wink

It is straight up from Fontes Historiae Nubiarum Tome 1. The first item. This book is even accessible from internet for free (given the quality, I suspect it has leaked from those university ebooks).

FHN tome I, item 1, p.35.
Otherwise, here's my personal own succinct first stage overview of the inscription:

http://www.4shared.com/web/preview/pdf/3UyMy-RBce

I can't retrace exactly all the sources given it was for my own uses.

The facsimile was from an excellent french article by Philippe Collombert where he came to the conclusion it was a discussion between three characters (a certain Makresh, an unnamed king and Katimala) revolving about good and evil. It's all in the succinct pdf of mine. It took most interesting parts of the different sources.

The photography is from a museum (?) pdf for some kind of presentation. Don't recall which one.

The images of scepters and descriptions come from:
Redford, Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt, vol.2, p. 163.
And various various other lost sources. Idea

The words hts, imAt, khkrw with a strange yellow background (that gives the source) comes from Vygus dictionary.

That said, some anecdotes:

Katimala case is interesting as it comes just before the rise of Kashta when he preconized Amineirdis I by Shepenwepet to become next God's Wife of Amun. The scholar Laszlo Török thinks her name that possibly derives from meroitic Kadimalo (Good "mlo" Woman "Kdi") is a hint of the southward expansion of the small napatan region (centered by Gebel Barkal, Sanam, el-Kurru, Nuri) towards the Butana region and Meroe City. By that time, the first early napatan burials appeared in Begrawiyah West and South and indicates either a conquest of the region by the early Napatan rulers (before Alara) or intermarriage with the Butana local princes. This may indicate the foundation of Meroe City as the second center of administration for the Butana. How come it relates with Katimala? Possibly, the meroitic writing comes from the meroitic spoken language from the Butana region and the sudden appearance of such name with strong meroitic affinities (when the XXV dynasty's king's names don't as much) may indicate the "infiltration" of the Butana people language. Still, that is a fleeting hypothesis.

Otherwise, recently , there is this book regarding a study of this inscription. I think it ties the origins of the Napatan state with the contemporaneous Libyans from Egypt, but I'm not sure if I'm correct since I don't have the book. But that would cross well with the early theory of Reisner who thought the Napatan state started as a Tjemehu state, then the local nubian princes took over.

Anyways, I think that expands well the subject. Razz
Kmt is not a racial term nor a reference to the black silt deposited on the Nile valley, but an expression of "standing on place wherein food is plenty, allowing to stop moving like the neighbouring nomads". -Asar Imhotep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: