Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kara Cooney - The woman who would be king

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tripnfelt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Kara Cooney - The woman who would be king Reply with quote

Kara's book on Hatshepsut came out earlier in the week, to rave reviews, and I'm quite keen to check out one very cool lady's take on another very cool lady. Anyone else here planning to read it? I think she's currently got a book tour underway too if you're in the states.

http://www.karacooney.com/the-woman-who-would-be-king[/url]
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on order.
tripnfelt
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I, I just have to get through a very long preferred reading list before it gets here haha. She was promoting it on the late show with Craig ferguson tonight.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept trying to get that in Goodreads giveaways. No luck yet.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been reading some parts of the book available in google books. It's kind of boring.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading the Cooney book now. She makes no bones about the fact that she's created a theoretical narrative (several in fact) out of her accumulated research. This is meant to be a popular book and as such I'm finding pretty entertaining. Cooney has created several different scenarios for Hatshepsut's motivations and feelings about the path that led her assumption of the title of pharaoh, and while it's conjecture, it's educated conjecture, and well footnoted. Cooney also asked some very pointed questions about the nature of female rule and why history often has such a strong reaction against it.

Here's a good interview where she discusses this and other interesting things;
http://youtu.be/Aa80wgS-yjI
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: A book written for the general public but in depth Reply with quote

As Ankhetmaatre said this is a book written for the general public. Think of it as something similar to Stacy Schiff's Cleopatra biography--except of course Cooney has a lot less to go on than Schiff did. The result is a very readable and compelling portrait of a woman in power in a male dominated society.

The book is up to date with the latest research included. To streamline her narrative, Cooney largely relegates scholarly dispute to her footnotes but is careful to indicate when she is speculating. While clearly an admirer of Hatshepsut, she does not shy away from some of the more controversial aspects of her subject's actions such as Hatshepsut's removal of Thutmose III's name from the Netjery-Menu.

The most controversial aspect of this book will be Cooney's attempt to ascribe motives and emotions to her subject. In this she goes into speculative territory but it's well informed speculation and is very clearly labeled as such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: