Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My reconstruction of the Sphinx's face...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: My reconstruction of the Sphinx's face... Reply with quote

Her is a bit of digital restoration work I did on a photo of the monument. The nose is taken from the intact statue of Chephren/Khafre, from the Valley Temple presumed builder of the Sphinx. (I presumed so until yesterday, anyway, when I heard about the Inventory Stela which names Khufu as a restorer of the Sphinx, and the tenuous nature of the evidence linking the Sphinx to Khafre).

The beard is extrapolated from the fragment in the British Museum, which was perhaps a New Kingdom embellishment...

karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know this looks to me like Tuthmosis IV's mummy, which is interesting because it does seem like he worked on the sphinx a bit more than just removing the sand. For example he added the stele, beard and probably a statue of himself. Is it possible he re-modelled the face as well?
Rudra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. But the nose and the beard plus the uraeus gives him a completely different persona.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work.

I think that your use of the nose from the Khafre statue is justified given that the only known intact image of Khufu is the little ivory found by Petrie. The two kings were after all closely related.

The beard is a bit more contentious. To my uneducated eye, the cross hatching, representing plaiting I suppose, does look to be a New Kingdom style.
My limited research seems to show Old Kingdom beards had a series of horizontal lines instead of the cross hatching. Perhaps pleats rather than plaiting?

All this from a rank amateur of course. Corrections would be welcome.

All the same,a great reconstruction and an admirable skill in photo manipulation.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
Good work.

I think that your use of the nose from the Khafre statue is justified given that the only known intact image of Khufu is the little ivory found by Petrie. The two kings were after all closely related.

The beard is a bit more contentious. To my uneducated eye, the cross hatching, representing plaiting I suppose, does look to be a New Kingdom style.
My limited research seems to show Old Kingdom beards had a series of horizontal lines instead of the cross hatching. Perhaps pleats rather than plaiting?

All this from a rank amateur of course. Corrections would be welcome.

As we have part of the Sphinx's beard in the British Museum, I would say the plaiting is correct, but then again, they are absolutely sure this beard was a New Kingdom addition, as the original Sphinx carving did not have a beard at any time.

See also:

Hassan, S. 1949. The Sphinx: Its History in the Light of Recent Excavations. Cairo: Government Press.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
evarelap
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:

they are absolutely sure this beard was a New Kingdom addition, as the original Sphinx carving did not have a beard at any time..

There is a relief of Akhenaten as a Sphinx at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Its unlikely that it happened but I can imagine how *** the ancient egyptians would have been if Akhenaten would have placed his face on the Sphinx back in his days. I can imagine them staring at the thing like "Oh you've really gone and done it now...". And then another pharaoh changes the face back and glues a beard to the new face. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: