Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Victory Stela of Psamtik II from Shellal (now at Kalabsha)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Victory Stela of Psamtik II from Shellal (now at Kalabsha) Reply with quote

Hi,

while referring to this extremely nice photograph of the stela mentioned in the title, I decided to make my own facsimile given the opportune clarity of the carved signs. Doing that is experimentally better than lazily requesting the facsimile right away; learning process.

Anyways, I'm already thwarted by a knot: it is the epithet of Khnum (i.e. lord of the cataract region) that bothers me.
I've got the transliteration and translation from Fontes Historiae Nubiorum I, item #41.

There are both instances of that epithet as far I've read: one in the lunette and one in the second column of the stela main text. Both have the same orthography obviously concerning the epithet.

Hereunder are reproduced the two instances:

According to Richard Pierce's translation, the first consonantal sound is š/S.

Uhm? Isn't that Gardiner sign N29 , basically a q consonant.
It goes pretty along this word from the Wörterbuch der Ägyptischen Sprache (Tome 5, p.29):

Well, writing this down, it comes as almost obvious it seems to be an inattention mistake from the translator, but I want this matter to be confirmed first before settling this confusion of mine.
Kmt is not a racial term nor a reference to the black silt deposited on the Nile valley, but an expression of "standing on place wherein food is plenty, allowing to stop moving like the neighbouring nomads". -Asar Imhotep
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Strange! The printed version of FHN I has the correct transliteration! Maybe that the pdf-file is an uncorrected preprint version ... and maybe that there are still other errors (or at least differences) between the two versions ...

Best wishes,
Michael Tilgner

Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am already confused in the same second column on another spot. Laughing
The placement of "beloved/mry" confuses me.

On the stela, the hieroglyphic word is right after the 3 mentioned god (Khnum, Satet and child Anuket) along with their respective epithets while the transliteration (translation order is ignored because it can't keep the order without screwing legibility) shows "mry" as first word of the 2nd column.

My only hypothesis is that the scribe puts the gods in prime place of the second column despite "beloved" should be first grammatically/verbally.

Just like Seti I's Son-of-Re name where Amun takes preponderant position.

But when read, it should be "Meryamun".
Kmt is not a racial term nor a reference to the black silt deposited on the Nile valley, but an expression of "standing on place wherein food is plenty, allowing to stop moving like the neighbouring nomads". -Asar Imhotep
Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Quote:
Strange! The printed version of FHN I has the correct transliteration! Maybe that the pdf-file is an uncorrected preprint version ... and maybe that there are still other errors (or at least differences) between the two versions ...

Best wishes,
Michael Tilgner

I agree with both of you; the edition I use is the one of 1994. Plenty was available in the meanwhile for correction.

I think when the author is still alive, the new edition takes place within the book, but when (s)he's dead, then a notice is set at the beginning as a flyleak to make observations what should have been corrected.

One book of Posener I've read had such flyleaf.

Anyways, quite a fast answer given Lutz communicated with Mr. Tilgner before reaching here.
Medjay Archer
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Making its own facsimile was a fun experience.
At some point, I will have to double check those recalcitrant hieroglyphs I can't recognize.
Proportions are out, especially for columns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: