Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vizier Nakhtpaaten and his house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Vizier Nakhtpaaten and his house Reply with quote

I put together some info a while ago about the Amarna period Vizier Nakhtpaaten (also called Nakht). His tomb was rather small, but he is thought to be the vizier depicted in the tomb of Mahu.

There is an article about the house of the Vizier. I found the description of the rooms rather interesting. My understanding of the duties of the vizier indicate that he would execute his office in the royal palace. The layout of the house makes me wonder if he could have conducted some business there as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/historyofancientegypt/new-kingdom-viziers/nakhtpaaten-vizier
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... Nakhtpaaten ... he is thought to be the vizier depicted in the tomb of Mahu. ...

During the NK the office was divided. There was a southern and a northern vizier, probably already starting in the reign of Thutmose III. (Wolfgang Helck, Zur Verwaltung des Mittleren und Neuen Reichs, 1958, p. 21).

In the Tomb of Meryra II at Amarna is a depiction of two vizier`s, standing side by side in the rewarding scene (Norman de Garis Davies, The Rock Tombs of El Amarna II: The Tombs of Panehesy and Meryra II, 1905, Plate XXXIII).

Greetings, Lutz.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra info Lutz.

I had forgotten about the scene showing both viziers in Meryre's tomb. It is usually assumed that the Northern vizier would have resided in Memphis, but as you mention he does appear in Amarna.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: