Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Big Khufu Statue......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rudra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: No Big Khufu Statue...... Reply with quote

As the builder of the biggest pyramid aka "Great Pyramid" of Giza, Khufu has probably the smallest statue himelf. It is surprising to see that Khufu had no bigger statues made of himself. The archaeologists have unearthed statues of Khafra and Menkaura in Giza and even Khufu's two boat pits but there is nothing like Khufu counterpart of Khafra Enthroned or Menkaura's statue with his wife and the one with the goddesses. Assuming that Khufu was a tyrant, a cruel despot that was not liked by his subjects (as alluded by Diodorus Siculus in his book) still I would presume that he had his statues built and even if they were smashed to pieces later on, still we could have found remnants of his statues but I have heard of no evidence pointing to such a possibility.

Maybe we have a plethora of Khufu statues buried somewhere but either the Egyptian archaeological department does not know where or may be they are somewhere under the modern township of Giza and hence lost forever.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Topographical Bibliography of Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphic Texts, Statues, Reliefs, and Paintings - III/1. Memphis. Abû Rawâsh to Abûṣîr" (1974)
On page 12... wrote:
"... Khufu statues.

Head with protecting hawk, probably, life-size, fragments, alabaster, found in debris over tomb G 7102 and possibly from here, in Boston Mus. 27.I466. SMITH, Hist. Eg. Sculp. pi. 5 [a], p. 20 [4].

Seated statuette, base and front of feet, with cartouche, alabaster, from debris north of Subsidiary Pyramid G I-a, in Boston Mus. unnumbered (Exped. No. 24-I2-59). See id. ib. p. 20 [I].

Base with feet of seated statuette, with cartouche, alabaster, from surface debris of tomb G 239I, in Boston Mus. 13.3448. See id. ib. p. 20 [2].

Seated statuette, probably, base and feet, alabaster, found in upper debris of south-west section of East Field, in Boston Mus. 25.I509. Id. ib. fig. 9, p. 20 [3].

Base with remains of cartouche, fragment, found by Schiaparelli, in Turin Mus. Sup. x884. CURTO, Gli Scavi, Tav. i [a], p. 11 [3]. ..."

There are some more, labeled as "probably Khufu", in collections around the world. See for that the online version of "The Topographical Bibliography - VIII. Objects of Provenance Not Known".

Greetings, Lutz.
Rudra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Lutz. That really helps. Thanks a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: