Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akhenaten colossi at Karnak are recarved from other statues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Akhenaten colossi at Karnak are recarved from other statues? Reply with quote

I was recently reading an interesting article by Arielle Kozloff called "Chips off Old Statues: Carving the Amenhotep IV Colossi of Karnak" in KMT Journal (Fall 2012).

The colossal statues show evidence of being recarved form other colossal statues. Some of the statues show 2 belly buttons, there are khat headdresses that do not reach the shoulder (as they normally do), one of the bust fragments clearly shows another hand underneath the left hand.

There are more details regarding the polish of the statues and hack signs that add to the overall evidence that these statues are recarved from earlier statues.

The obvious question is: who did they depict before the change? There is a series of photographs that shows how one of Amenhotep III's statues can be morphed into Akhenaten's image. This requires narrowing the face and slightly remodeling the mouth (etc).

Kozloff speculates that the colossal Osiride statues of Amenhotep III may have taken from the Sun COurt of the Luxor temple and then recarved to represent Akhenaten.

Statue JE 55938 is a colossus that is often brought up in discussions about thesse colossi because it looks feminine. There is no evidence of a kilt, the figure is shown in a striding pose (left foot slightly forward) and the head is relatively small.

There is a colossal statue of a Queen at Tell Basta which is 9.2 meters (30 ft) high. It is now reinscribed to mention Osorkon, but it may have originally depicted Tiye (and I have seen it ascribed to Merytamen - daughter of Ramesses II as well). Kozloff points out that if one removed the large wig and recarved the body, one would end up with something like the JE 55938 colossus.

It's an interesting read Very Happy
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds fascinating anneke. and much easier to recarve someone else's than to create your own! how do they know they came from luxor originally?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most comprehensive presentation to the colossi undoubtedly offers

Lise Manniche : The Akhenaten Colossi of Karnak. - Cairo : American University in Cairo Press, 2010. - ISBN : 977-416-349-4; 978-977-416-349-4. - X, 182 p., with a full detailed catalog of all known colossi or parts of them.

The re-carving theorie is in short mentioned here on page 97 ff. Officially published it was as

Arielle P. Kozloff : Chips off the Old Block - Amenhotep IV's Sandstone Colossi, Re-Cut from Statues of Amenhotep III. - In: Millions of Jubilees - Studies in Honor of David P. Silverman - 1. - Annales du Service des Antiquités de l'Égypte - ASAE - Supplement - 39. - Cairo : General Organisation for Government Printing Offices, 2010. - ISBN : 978-977-704-084-6. - ISSN : 1687-4951. - pp. 279 - 294.

Greetings, Lutz.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kozloff actually refers to Rita Freed from the Boston Museum of Fine arts as someone who sparked her interest in this question.

Freed had noticed and published remarks about the recarving of the statues in the 1990s.

The article in Millions of Jubilees - Studies in Honor of David P. Silverman is an abbreviated version of the article that appears in the KMT Journal.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Akhenaten colossi at Karnak are recarved from other stat Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I was recently reading an interesting article by Arielle Kozloff called "Chips off Old Statues: Carving the Amenhotep IV Colossi of Karnak" in KMT Journal (Fall 2012). ...

Are you sure with "(Fall 2012)" ??? I can not find it on KMT webpage. The current issue there is Volume 23, Number 2, Summer 2012...

Lutz
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... Freed had noticed and published remarks about the recarving of the statues in the 1990s. ...

Rita E. Freed : Observations on some Amenhotep IV Colossi from Karnak. - In: Memnonia - Bulletin éd. par l'Association pour la Sauvegarde du Ramesseum - 10. - Cairo : Dar Namatallah Press, 1999. - ISSN : 1110-4910. - pp. 195 - 200.

About: Kairo, Ägyptisches Museum, JE 49529. - Kairo, Ägyptisches Museum, TR 18/3/58/3. - Kairo, Ägyptisches Museum, JE 98891. - Paris, Louvre, E 27112.

Lutz
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Akhenaten colossi at Karnak are recarved from other stat Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
anneke wrote:
I was recently reading an interesting article by Arielle Kozloff called "Chips off Old Statues: Carving the Amenhotep IV Colossi of Karnak" in KMT Journal (Fall 2012). ...

Are you sure with "(Fall 2012)" ??? I can not find it on KMT webpage. The current issue there is Volume 23, Number 2, Summer 2012...

Lutz

They might not have put up their current issue yet on the website, but yes, I got mine last week, and read the same article. Very interesting.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the very latest issue of KMT.

And thanks for the biblio Lutz. Smile
burlgirl
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Akhenaten colossi at Karnak are recarved from other stat Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Statue JE 55938 is a colossus that is often brought up in discussions about thesse colossi because it looks feminine. There is no evidence of a kilt, the figure is shown in a striding pose (left foot slightly forward) and the head is relatively small.

There is a colossal statue of a Queen at Tell Basta which is 9.2 meters (30 ft) high. It is now reinscribed to mention Osorkon, but it may have originally depicted Tiye (and I have seen it ascribed to Merytamen - daughter of Ramesses II as well). Kozloff points out that if one removed the large wig and recarved the body, one would end up with something like the JE 55938 colossus.

When I read the article, I wondered how they could have done that with the queen's statue. The large one referenced, and others like it, have one arm crossed on the chest holding the sceptre, and the other hanging at her side. The JE 55938 colossus has both arms crossed on the chest. This would require adding stone on the arm that is hanging to allow the elbow to jut out. I'd like for this theory to be true, it would answer some questions about that statue, but the arms are the sticking point... Idea

Jo

Thomas Jefferson
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads-up! Interesting reply article in this issue of KMT, proposing that, instead of being recarved from Amenhotep III statues, that they were recarved from early-style Amenhotep IV statues.
burlgirl
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88,
Is it the Winter Issue or the Fall? I was at the book store yesterday and I only saw the Fall issue.

Thomas Jefferson
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Winter issue; got it a couple of days ago. Smile
burlgirl
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,that's certainly something to be thankful for, and to look forward to!

Thomas Jefferson
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
The most comprehensive presentation to the colossi undoubtedly offers

Lise Manniche : The Akhenaten Colossi of Karnak. - Cairo : American University in Cairo Press, 2010. - ISBN : 977-416-349-4; 978-977-416-349-4. - X, 182 p., with a full detailed catalog of all known colossi or parts of them. ...

... which is now also available online, for free : "The Akhenaten Colossi of Karnak".

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: