Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Egyptian Human Mummies from KV 31 / VoK in Luxor

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh


Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 3523
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Ancient Egyptian Human Mummies from KV 31 / VoK in Luxor Reply with quote

Frank Rühli / Salima Ikram / Susanne Bickel : New Ancient Egyptian Human Mummies from the Valley of the Kings, Luxor - Anthropological, Radiological, and Egyptological Investigations. - In: BioMed Research International 2015. - 2015. - Article ID 530362. - 8 pages.
Quote:
"Abstract : The Valley of the Kings (arab. Wadi al Muluk; KV) situated on the West Bank near Luxor (Egypt) was the site for royal and elite burials during the New Kingdom (ca. 1500–1100 BC), with many tombs being reused in subsequent periods. In 2009, the scientific project “The University of Basel Kings’ Valley Project” was launched. The main purpose of this transdisciplinary project is the clearance and documentation of nonroyal tombs in the surrounding of the tomb of Pharaoh Thutmosis III (ca. 1479–1424 BC; KV 34). This paper reports on newly discovered ancient Egyptian human mummified remains originating from the field seasons 2010–2012. Besides macroscopic assessments, the remains were conventionally X-rayed by a portable X-ray unit in situ inside KV 31. These image data serve as basis for individual sex and age determination and for the study of probable pathologies and embalming techniques. A total of five human individuals have been examined so far and set into an Egyptological context. This project highlights the importance of ongoing excavation and science efforts even in well-studied areas of Egypt such as the Kings’ Valley. ...

... 3.4. Mummy C3 (Figure 5)

This mummy is a fairly complete body, although the head and right foot are missing and some extremities damaged. Multiple, uncountable layers of linen, at least four centimeters deep/thick, cover the body. The arms were crossed over the chest, with the left fingers II–V being flexed, with a straight thumb as if it were holding an object. All extremities are multiply broken and the abdomen is exposed. ...

... The arm positions for all those whose arms seem to follow the traditional division that was common throughout the New Kingdom and into the Third Intermediate Period, if not beyond: along the sides for women, and over the pubes for men. There is, however, one exception, mummy C3, whose arms are crossed over his chest, with the surviving hand posed as if it had been gripping something. This pose, from the mid-Eighteenth dynasty to the end of the New Kingdom was regularly applied for kings; it became more frequent in later periods. It is, however, still difficult to relate arm positions of mummies to a specific social status or historical period with any degree of certainty. There is, for example, hardly any information available concerning the arm position of royal sons in the 18th dynasty. Also sexing and ageing is difficult to assess due to the partial destruction (and in some cases even crucial missing body parts) and the limited quality of conventional X-rays as well as the superimposition of embalming-related artifacts. Thus, the data need to be taken with enormous caution for these individual criteria. However, in general the bodies seem to be all of adult age. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
_________________
Ägyptologie - Forum (German)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 237

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, it seems that an 18th Dynasty sarcophagus in the British Museum collection may originate from this tomb, according to the Theban Mapping website.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=124930&partId=1&searchText=sarcophagus+&matcult=240&page=1

No image unfortunately.

Who are we missing from Dynasty 18? Horemheb, Ay?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh


Joined: 02 Sep 2007
Posts: 3523
Location: Berlin, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
Interesting, it seems that an 18th Dynasty sarcophagus in the British Museum collection may originate from this tomb, according to the Theban Mapping website.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details.aspx?objectId=124930&partId=1&searchText=sarcophagus+&matcult=240&page=1

No image unfortunately. ...

"Porter & Moss" , 1964, I/2, p. 830 :

Quote:
"... A woman, sarcophagus, with painted figures restored by BELZONI, sandstone, No. 39, Tablets ... Belmore, 3rd pl. See Guide (Sculpture), p. 246 [913]; SHARPE, Eg. Antiq., p. 100. ..."

Samuel Sharpe : Egyptian Antiquities in the British Museum. - London : Smith, 1862. - XIX, 196 p., 93 fig., on page 100:



Tablets and Other Egyptian Monuments from the Collection of the Earl of Belmore - Now Deposited in the British Museum. - [ed. by E. Hawkins and S. Birch]. - London : Nicol, 1843. - 1 : 23 pl.:


Greetings, Lutz.
_________________
Ägyptologie - Forum (German)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Robson
Priest
Priest


Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 979
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancient Egyptian Human Mummies from KV 31 / VoK in Luxor Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

Quote:

This mummy is a fairly complete body, although the head and right foot are missing and some extremities damaged. Multiple, uncountable layers of linen, at least four centimeters deep/thick, cover the body. The arms were crossed over the chest, with the left fingers II–V being flexed, with a straight thumb as if it were holding an object. All extremities are multiply broken and the abdomen is exposed. ...

... The arm positions for all those whose arms seem to follow the traditional division that was common throughout the New Kingdom and into the Third Intermediate Period, if not beyond: along the sides for women, and over the pubes for men. There is, however, one exception, mummy C3, whose arms are crossed over his chest, with the surviving hand posed as if it had been gripping something. This pose, from the mid-Eighteenth dynasty to the end of the New Kingdom was regularly applied for kings; it became more frequent in later periods.

Greetings, Lutz.



However, this particular mummy is described as a "male juvenile-young adult" which doesn't fit among 18th Dynasty "missing links" (Ay, Horemheb). Could be him and heir prince, maybe either Thutmose III's or Amenhotep II's firstborn? http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/530362/tab1/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Naunacht
Priest
Priest


Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 515
Location: U.S. NJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ancient Egyptian Human Mummies from KV 31 / VoK in Luxor Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
Lutz wrote:

Quote:

This mummy is a fairly complete body, although the head and right foot are missing and some extremities damaged. Multiple, uncountable layers of linen, at least four centimeters deep/thick, cover the body. The arms were crossed over the chest, with the left fingers II–V being flexed, with a straight thumb as if it were holding an object. All extremities are multiply broken and the abdomen is exposed. ...

... The arm positions for all those whose arms seem to follow the traditional division that was common throughout the New Kingdom and into the Third Intermediate Period, if not beyond: along the sides for women, and over the pubes for men. There is, however, one exception, mummy C3, whose arms are crossed over his chest, with the surviving hand posed as if it had been gripping something. This pose, from the mid-Eighteenth dynasty to the end of the New Kingdom was regularly applied for kings; it became more frequent in later periods.

Greetings, Lutz.



However, this particular mummy is described as a "male juvenile-young adult" which doesn't fit among 18th Dynasty "missing links" (Ay, Horemheb). Could be him and heir prince, maybe either Thutmose III's or Amenhotep II's firstborn? http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/530362/tab1/


What about Thutmose II? The age at death of this gentleman would fit the historical evidence for Thutmose II rather nicely--perhaps even better than the mummy labeled as his.

There has for a long time been some speculation based on the fact that the shroud of the mummy identified as Thutmose II was originally labeled with the throne name of his father that the Thutmose II mummy could really be Thutmose I and one of the ancient restorers screwed up. Thus we have a mummy for Thutmose II but no coffin or tomb. We have a tomb and a coffin for Thutmose I but no mummy. The mummy formerly known as Thutmose I is now acknowledged to be a Thutmosid closely related to Thutmose II and KV60A (Hatshepsut?) but not a king.


http://www.kmtjournal.com/musicalchairs1.htm


Disclaimer, as I am finishing what I hope will be the final draft of an historical novel set in this period, in which I have Thutmose II dying at around age 30 of a heart attack triggered by an assassination attempt, I really, really hope that this little bit of speculation on my part does not turn out to be correct--or at least does not get proved before and if I manage to get it published.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group